Stihl 038AV... Anygood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkrd14

Reaction score
Is this saw worth trying to fix? I just moved into a house with a few acres of thick woods. I was planning on buying a new chainsaw, but... I was cleaning out a shed in the back when i found a stihl 038AV. I have no idea how old it might be. It has a broken recoil. I took the recoil cover off and the spark plug out and was able to turn it over. I have also been able to determine that it has spark and compression. should i go further??? how old is it??? I know very little about chainsaws, please advise.

tkrd14 said:
Is this saw worth trying to fix? I just moved into a house with a few acres of thick woods. I was planning on buying a new chainsaw, but... I was cleaning out a shed in the back when i found a stihl 038AV. I have no idea how old it might be. It has a broken recoil. I took the recoil cover off and the spark plug out and was able to turn it over. I have also been able to determine that it has spark and compression. should i go further??? how old is it??? I know very little about chainsaws, please advise.

I'd say go for it. Its a great saw.

A used 038 is worth around $200, to replace it with a comprable new saw is going to be more than double that. You got lucky to find it in a shed!

Yes i would fix the saw...its not to old considering they started making that model in 1980....you will have a good saw if it works out :greenchainsaw:

038's are classics in the Stihl lineup. They weigh about as much as 066's but they are very dependable and have gobs or torque.

Parts are easy to find. (Plenty of aftermarket jugs and Ebay parts).

Speaking from experience, I say fix er up, and keep er. I owned one that was rather nice. mine was an 038 MAG II saw, which is 73CCs or so, and VERY high in the torque dept. heavy but tough and reliable saw.

tkrd14 said:

Sounds like you found a goodie hiding in the shed. If I were you I'd take the muffler completely off and take a good look at the piston through the exhaust port, that hole behind the muffler where you can look into the cylinder. Turn the flywheel and watch the piston come to the top of the cylinder. Look at the side of the piston real good for any bad scratching or scuff marks. If you see a nice shiny piston your in business. If you see scratching and scuffing all over the side of the piston your looking at around 200 plus for a new piston and cylinder. Me, I would repair it regardless. The 038 is a old beast of a saw. Its nothing to see 038's come in the shop 15 plus years old and still running like a champ only needing minor odds and ends like a pull rope or a sprocket. Its one of very few Stihl's you can actually push alittle bit through the cut, lots of torque in that thing. Fix her up and enjoy....

038... making progress

ok... i got the recoil working... looked inside, everything is clean and smooth. I can get it to fire when i spray starting fluid into the carb, but it won't pull gas from the tank. the fuel line is clear (in color) and unobstructed. there is no fuel filter. looks like it is not factory workmanship. does this sound like a carb problem?

tkrd14 said:
ok... i got the recoil working... looked inside, everything is clean and smooth. I can get it to fire when i spray starting fluid into the carb, but it won't pull gas from the tank. the fuel line is clear (in color) and unobstructed. there is no fuel filter. looks like it is not factory workmanship. does this sound like a carb problem?

Seeing as the fuel lines look good I would take apart the carb and put in a carb kit.

Sounds like like you might get a good saw for yourself without a lot of $$$.

You should also replace the missing fuel filter before running it, to keep junk out of that freshly rebuilt carb. Both of these parts can be had from a Stihl dealer, or possibly other saw shops. Baileys should also be able to supply you with what you need.

Hopefully you are a decent wrench on the carb, they can be a real pita to rebuild for the inexperienced. As Andy can tell you, I rebuilt one completely wrong on an 025. Also make sure you get the right carb kit and get teh carb adjusted as per the manual before firing it up,a nd then adjust from there.

tkrd14 said:

Another small word of advice...DON'T use starting fluid...drop alittle mixed gas in the carb

tkrd14 said:

If there is no fuel filter, you definitely have a carb problem.... Don't use starting fluid - you'll cook the piston/cylinder/ whatever.. Use mix.

It could also be impulse line, crank case seals, boot, etc.. but I'd bet on the carb... put a stihl fuel filter back on the hose after you clean out the carb and rebuild it.

It likely has a Bing carb. GREAT carb but incredibly expensive full kit from Stihl (nearly $50). Get an aftermarket kit ($6-12). It won't come with a needle (just use a big Walbro needle), and no metering arm, so don't mess up the one in the carb.

It's Alive!!!

Hay Everyone,
Thanks for the help. I got it running! it is a beast. Seams like it will run circles around my dad's Poulan that i normally use (i think it is 40cc).

...ahead of you on the fuel filter.
...i won't use starting fluid anymore.
...it has a tillotson carb. is that odd? the guy at the dealership was surprised
about that too.
...it says Farm Boss on it.

recoil rope $.50, carb kit $15.76, fuel filter $5.49, gas/oil $to much$,
free advise from people who know what they are talking about $0
resurrecting a classic for less than $25... Priceless! for everything else....

tkrd14 said:

Actually, I do charge for advice :spam:

But, really thats awesome that you got it going with that minimum amount of effort. I'm sure it runs huge circles around the poulan :chainsaw:

tkrd14 said:
Hay Everyone,
Thanks for the help. I got it running! it is a beast. Seams like it will run circles around my dad's Poulan that i normally use (i think it is 40cc).

...ahead of you on the fuel filter.
...i won't use starting fluid anymore.
...it has a tillotson carb. is that odd? the guy at the dealership was surprised
about that too.
...it says Farm Boss on it.

recoil rope $.50, carb kit $15.76, fuel filter $5.49, gas/oil $to much$,
resurrecting a classic for less than $25... Priceless! for everything else....

No surprise on the Tillotson - the early 038's (Farm Boss) had that carb; just don't see all that many of them out here. Easy to rebuild, works fine. The Bing carb came in with the magnums.

No surprise on the Poulan either (but not a fair comparison) - the 038 will cut circles around an 036, and is up the close to the early 044...

I ran 038s in the ealry 90s till the we started to switch to the 044's. We used 'em for thinnig. They are heavier than the 044 but they are one of the best all around saws of the day. I'll admit that the switching to the 044 was not a fight, but I still keep a 038 just cause I like them so much. The one I still keep is a brazilian made one though. This thing is a out and out ripper. The bigger carb jets rock. Even has the clear tank.
Keep the 038. It'll treat you right.

My 038av C1985 I bought it in 1996 and it has been my favourite tool till it siezed

Wouldn't pull on the rope and I took off the top and the muffler and a piece had broken off the piston. I've got it moving again but need a new piston ,pot etc. What is the size of the piston 48,50,or52mm. And where is the best place to get it ? E bay? love some advice thanks

Wouldn't pull on the rope and I took off the top and the muffler and a piece had broken off the piston. I've got it moving again but need a new piston ,pot etc. What is the size of the piston 48,50,or52mm. And where is the best place to get it ? E bay? love some advice thanks

If you saw is a standard 038AV it will have a 48mm bore, but the 52mm would be a direct bolt-on replacement. Ebay is a good place to buy parts but I would suggest buying from someone with a lot of positive feedback involving the sale of chainsaw parts. Site sponsor Baileys also has a nice selection of oem and aftermarket parts available.

Last edited:
Back