Stihl 038AVEQ parts needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm hoping an A/S member will be able to help me out parts wise for this saw but if not where or who would be the best person/place to get these parts from?? Awesome dealing with this member in the past so i'm hoping he can help but if not, just lookin for backup if possible... Also, most of these parts look pretty similiar to the 028, anyone know if i can use 028 parts?

Fuel Hose 1119 358 7700
Fuel Filter 0000 350 3504
Vent Valve Assembly 1117 350 5800
Intake Boot 1119 141 2200
Impulse Hose 0000 930 2803 (3.1x5.7x102mm)
Elbow Connector (Impulse) 1119 122 3900

I actually just rebuilt this customers 028AV and while in their i replaced the vent valve, i haven't looked to deep into the 038 yet but without the air filter everything looks pretty much the same although the first thing i noticed was the 038's vent hose was rotted to nothing and not attached. Thanks for that info, i just found the 028 IPL on my computer and figured i'd cross reference the part #'s but you've just answered that for me. Appreciate it!

~Moose

Vent valve assy is the same.

My 028 IPL has different #s for the rest.

Any idea where i could purchase these parts? I've got faith in morningman here on A/S but if he can't help, where else might i be able to locate these parts?

I emailed my local Stihl dealer last night with part numbers, prob wont get a response till tomorrow or longer, think these parts are still around new and not discontinued?

My guess is that you would have no problem getting this list from a Stihl dealer. On a saw from that vintage, all those parts should be replaced. Good call on your part. These are also parts that I would seek out OEM vs. aftermarket. I just feel they are going to be a little higher quality. Not a fan of Chinese anything.

I've had 2 experiences with Stihl & Chinese parts, both ended in complete disaster and pieces everywhere. Won't happen again. I'd take used but good OEM over anything else.

~Moose

The part numbers are in the 2015 price list, so they are Stihl available........
The last digit on one of the hoses goes up one, but they are all there.

The impulse hose itself has 3 different listings in the IPL, it seems that it is just of different lengths... if thats the hose you were speaking of...

3.1x5.7x102mm (D) 0000 989 0808
3.1x5.7mmx1m (A,B) 0000 989 0808
3.1x5.7mmx10m (A,B) 0712 923 8004

I recently found NOS OEM impulse and fuel lines (028 036 038 064 066) from several sources on ebay. Took a bit of shopping but I wanted to have spares for my saws that get the most use.

Ahhh... so the 028 fuel line (and filter) would fit... I just did the same customers 028AV and it looked exactly the same.

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm a bit confused about the vent hose setup.. IPL shows a "vent hose" and 2? "vent valves". 2?

First thing i noticed was the vent hose rotted off the tank and was just dangling from the hole it passed through. So i cut a 2" length off a 290/390 vent hose, screwed the valve (which is basically just a plug) that was left in the old hose into the length and it runs just fine now after cleaning a TON of crap out of everything. All 3 saws this customer had brought me had such crud built up that the air filters were caked with crap. Owned them all over 30 years and i think the only thing thats been changed on them were the spark plugs, not even an air filter cleaning. All saws came with the "They don't feel they have the power they used to.." .. Wonder why :laugh:

So i suggested he have me swap all new parts that i've listed, and i always offer to send him home with extra parts but he refuses.

~Moose

The different part numbers of the impulse are just different lengths of bulk hose.

Also, the little setscrew should be pushed in on the vent hose, and not screwed, as it is possible that the threads could
cut into the inner wall of the vent hose, and create an airtight seal. And there is supposed to be 2 of them.

The different part numbers of the impulse are just different lengths of bulk hose.

Also, the little setscrew should be pushed in on the vent hose, and not screwed, as it is possible that the threads could
cut into the inner wall of the vent hose, and create an airtight seal. And there is supposed to be 2 of them.

Yeah i figured the different lengths, i think the part # for the hose and vents all in one is 1117 350 5800 and i plan on replacing it with everything anyway. Good to know about not screwing them in, that makes sense! I was wondering why that piece would look as though it screws in and making it airtight, what would be the point of it i was thinkin, but then again i've always just purchased the entire part already together any other time i've replaced em. Thanks! Appreciate that info!

~Moose

The impulse hose itself has 3 different listings in the IPL, it seems that it is just of different lengths... if thats the hose you were speaking of...

3.1x5.7x102mm (D) 0000 989 0808
3.1x5.7mmx1m (A,B) 0000 989 0808
3.1x5.7mmx10m (A,B) 0712 923 8004

Ahhh... so the 028 fuel line (and filter) would fit... I just did the same customers 028AV and it looked exactly the same.

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm a bit confused about the vent hose setup.. IPL shows a "vent hose" and 2? "vent valves". 2?

First thing i noticed was the vent hose rotted off the tank and was just dangling from the hole it passed through. So i cut a 2" length off a 290/390 vent hose, screwed the valve (which is basically just a plug) that was left in the old hose into the length and it runs just fine now after cleaning a TON of crap out of everything. All 3 saws this customer had brought me had such crud built up that the air filters were caked with crap. Owned them all over 30 years and i think the only thing thats been changed on them were the spark plugs, not even an air filter cleaning. All saws came with the "They don't feel they have the power they used to.." .. Wonder why :laugh:

So i suggested he have me swap all new parts that i've listed, and i always offer to send him home with extra parts but he refuses.

~Moose

Not interchange between models, I just meant you could find NOS OEM on ebay for the saws I listed, some at reasonable price w/free shipping. Most the parts are physically different on the various models.

Oh, i misunderstood ya. Unfortunately i am banned for life from Ebay because of my kids mother came up with this grand scam to buy fake womens "Uggs" from China (which looked pretty legit) but for only $15 a pop shipped to her... They sold for $150-$225 each with 100% positive feedback!! I was young and dumb but here over 15 years later they won't allow me on Ebay even though she was selling them on my account. She also sold them on her acct and received a slap on the wrist! I did make a couple thousand bucks in a matter of days though! Ya live and learn. Bummer

~Moose

I haven't yet checked the internals, actually haven't looked into it very much in the past 2 days because of a family emergency but i'll def remember it if the loss of power has anything to do with the top end. I put it into some wood for a couple minutes and it had zero power. He brought it to me with a 32" rollomatic on it, haven't checked the specs on these saws yet but can these saws pull these size bars?? How much are you askin for the P&C?

Whatever is fair. I know the saw runs and makes 180 psi. I'd have to look at it internally before I'd sell it.

It's a really clean saw. id have a very clean metal badged cover to go with it.

PM me if you want it.

I haven't yet checked the internals, actually haven't looked into it very much in the past 2 days because of a family emergency but i'll def remember it if the loss of power has anything to do with the top end. I put it into some wood for a couple minutes and it had zero power. He brought it to me with a 32" rollomatic on it, haven't checked the specs on these saws yet but can these saws pull these size bars?? How much are you askin for the P&C?

32" is pushing it even with a mag unless you go real slow and/or keep the rakers shallow/use skip chain.

Supers and mags handle 25" well

Back