ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Stihl 040 info?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by ttyR2, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ttyR2

ttyR2 AboristSite Guru

I just picked up a Stihl 040 at a swap meet. The seller said the fuel tank leaks, but I haven't confirmed that yet. When I checked google images, all of the pictures that pop up seem to be from Europe. Was this saw not sold in the US? My local Stihl saw shop can't find it in their literature either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. big t double

big t double AboristSite Guru

what info are you looking for? i can access an ancient ipl but thats about it. cant answer your question whether or not it was sold in the US. your dealer should be able to come up with the ipl for it if he knows where to look. looks to me like its a 1110 like the 041 but im not sure what exactly 041 parts will cross. cool old saw regardless.

manostihl likes this.
  3. old 040

old 040 AboristSite Guru

i'm quite sure the 040's were sold in the US, and i think it was 1966 they came out, i own one version, but have seen small variations (at least three) in these saws, stihl's first real lightwieght one man saw, they're still great running saws, i love mine.......................:D

JeremiahJohnson likes this.
  4. jus2fat

jus2fat Two Harley Fatboys

According to the Acres site...the were only made for ~ 1 year..introduced 1966 - discontinued 1967.

Model Profile: 040
    :cheers:
    J2F

5. ttyR2

ttyR2 AboristSite Guru

From pictures I've found, it's obvious the clutch cover is missing the tail end that goes around the muffler. There are slots for two slide controls on the top cover, but I appear to be missing the left one. Anyone know what that would do? I assume one of the sliders is for choke, but I'm not sure what the other would do (or if there's a slot for one but none were installed from the factory).

Correction, just found a couple pictures that do have both of the slide controls in the top cover.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  6. 7sleeper

7sleeper Addicted to ArboristSite

Right side is the choke setting. Forward choke engaged. Rear run.
    Left slide is for the on off mechanism. Clearly the slide is missing.

Obviously your muffler has been repaired like mine. Although mine still has some holes that need repairing.

I made a short vid of mine.

7. ttyR2

ttyR2 AboristSite Guru

Mine has an on/off switch under the handle just above the spark plug boot that looks to be stock though (looks similar to the switch on a 031). I suppose someone could have added one later, but it sure looks OEM.

I pulled the air box cover off and can't see anything that the left slide would have been connected to, though there are scuff marks in the paint that showed one was there at some point.

Looking at this guys page, there may have been a production run change for the 040. His oil fill cap is different. Mine has a square cap on it. http://www.motorsaegensammler.de/Stihl-040.htm

8. 7sleeper

9. gmax

gmax Addicted to ArboristSite

The air filter looks well used :D

10. 7sleeper

Stop complaining! It keeps the chips out..... :D

You don't want to see how the sproket looks like. I'll describe it as worn evenly....:D

11. old 040

old 040 AboristSite Guru

as i mentioned different variations, i've seen them with the shut off switch in the filter cover or the same place they are on the 041's, there is also a fine fined air inlet on the recoil cover and a large fin version, i've also found a pic of one with a small clutch cover that does not go around the muffler (although yours should)................... View attachment 306780 ......................:smile2:....................also note the exhaust outlet louvers are different in this pic

12. jus2fat

jus2fat Two Harley Fatboys

If you go to my Acres link in post #4 and scroll down to the bottom of the page...

There are several saws shown...some with a left slider and some without one.
    :cheers:
    J2F

13. old 040

old 040 AboristSite Guru

i've always wondered if the two black and white photos in the 040 profile aren't actually early 041's,if you look at the first model profile for the 041, you'll see clearly the 040 shown and the same black and white i'm referring to for the 041, i've never seen an 040 with that "humped" filter cover before and you can't see what the model numbers are on the covers from the pics shown...................:msp_unsure:

JeremiahJohnson likes this.
  14. JeremiahJohnson

JeremiahJohnson ChainsawRepair is where it is @

Stihl 040 so far I figured out in thread on Chainsaw Repair was made in 1966-67 and was called 040 for stihl's 40th annv. 040 1966 - 1967 3,8 PS 61 cm³

1966 Chainsaw 040
    On the occasion of the company's 40th anniversary, STIHL presents the one-man chainsaw 040 - and a technical sensation: with a power output of 3.7 HP, the machine weighs only 6.8 kg. For the first time, the power-to-weight ratio has been pushed below the level of 2.0 kg/HP

h353parts 001.JPG h353parts 003.JPG

Attached Files:

7sleeper likes this.
  15. wolfcoln

wolfcoln ArboristSite Operative

I have several 040's and I agree there are a few variations. I have sort of squared off handle like the one above but I also have one that is rounder too. My grandfathers that I know is all original has smaller vents on the recoil side that shown above but that I have others that are not.

16. old 040

old 040 AboristSite Guru

here's a pic of another version i found, note no extended clutch cover around the muffler, also appears to have a different switch or lever (choke?) just to the right of the rear hand grip, also different fining on the muffler....................... $T2eC16dHJGIFFoqWmqOjBRb1y7iE4w~~60_57.JPG

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    7sleeper likes this.