stihl 041 fb cranks easy runs strong till it gets hot,then dies won't crank till it's cool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steele_109

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi a friend brought me a stihl 041 fb to fix.The saw cranks easy runs strong for about 15 minutes. Then shuts down and won't crank back till it cools completely down.I'm just looking for a idea,Before I start spending money.

Hi a friend brought me a stihl 041 fb to fix.The saw cranks easy runs strong for about 15 minutes. Then shuts down and won't crank back till it cools completely down.I'm just looking for a idea,Before I start spending money.
Compression check when hot and not running? Rings would be less money than coil, and an op to check squish, lower cylinder, open up exhaust, tune to new flow and rock on. That all depends on how much inexpensive fun you are looking to have:) since it "cranks easy" when cold.

Compression check when hot and not running? Rings would be less money than coil, and an op to check squish, lower cylinder, open up exhaust, tune to new flow and rock on. That all depends on how much inexpensive fun you are looking to have:) since it "cranks easy" when cold.
Fixed it put a new coil on it and cleaned the vents on the crank.I don't know which one it was but it will run on and on.Cut it off and cranks right back.Thanks for the help.

Back