Stihl 041 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one that looks like the previous owner cut it in half, then brazed it back together.

I guess either the cut in two method or soak it in something like Simple Green for a month..I thought about drilling a hole in the face of it and running a wire through it but don't know if the crud would come out or not.
Seems kinda stupid that Stihl didn't put the exhaust port on the side rather than the top, looks like it would carbon up easier the way they have it..

I've had it soaking for two days in industrial strength Simple Green. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it out and see what it looks like. I'm gonna try to find a bucket to put some hot water in and rinse it out. Maybe I won't have to cut it in two and braze it back together..

There's always the option of buying a new muffler I guess. A little over 20 dollars on ebay..I'm not even sure if it's carboned up at this point, just the only thing I could think of keeping the saw from running.
When the saw has 150 compression and ignition and you squirt fuel into the cylinder and it still doesn't run that's all I could think is left. Fuel is good, tried it in a different saw. I'm not sure if you can run these saws with the muffler off to test or not. I'm soaking it in Simple Green for a couple of days.

Pulled the muffler out of the cleaner and dipped it in hot water and noticed some crud in the cleaner but not that much unless it was all on the screen, if it even has a screen. I poured the cleaner through it and it came out the other end so it's not blocked. I'll put it together and see if it runs but after that I may be out of ideas..

Back