Stihl 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you're in there, I would put all new seals in it, just to be safe. It's a once and done deal. You'd be suprised how bad the oil pump and adjustment knob can leak as well.

Tried the pressure test today and it's still leaking like crazy, this time at the oil pump front. I yanked it out and didn't see any seals except the rubber one on the end which looks pretty good. I guess there's an O ring inside the pump body that I'll have to replace. I wonder if I should put a little Dirko around the pump when I install it?

Put the whole pump back in, pressurize it and spray soapy water to see exactly where the leak is. The seal will appear to be ok and can leak, as they shrink over time. I would avoid the dirko as it will possibly clog the flow of oil.

I used Motoseal instead, a little thinner and I avoided any of the holes. I pressurized it again and it held but had a small leak at the sparkplug. Turns out I didn't have it tightened..I may still blow through the oil holes a bit before running it. I never had a very good feeling about this saw...may have to use it as a display in my shop...

Don't give up now, your almost there. It's almost essential to pull every seal and gasket on them and call it a day. Remember how old it is.

I'm following your thread on the 041. I've got a few of them collected for future projects. Keep up the great effort. Looking forward to you getting it running soon. THanks for sharing.

I finished putting it together today. Haven't run it other than a shot of fuel down the carb throat and start, actually sounded pretty good for the first time since I've had it. On the next pretty day I'll probably get it out, gas and oil it and see if I can get it tuned. Took a pic or two, here's one.. I cleaned it up a little while I was waiting on parts to arrive.041-1.JPG

I finished putting it together today. Haven't run it other than a shot of fuel down the carb throat and start, actually sounded pretty good for the first time since I've had it. On the next pretty day I'll probably get it out, gas and oil it and see if I can get it tuned. Took a pic or two, here's one.. I cleaned it up a little while I was waiting on parts to arrive.View attachment 561827

That's gorgeous!! I love collecting the old 041's.

Looks very good. Hope it runs as good as it looks. Painting a saw is something I haven't gotten into.

That weather system that went through was rough. My little area just got a ton of rain . Farther to the west of me they had an actual tornado touch down and tore up a small town pretty good, trees down and property damage. No one hurt that I know of.

I normally don't paint saws either, just had a little time while the weather was kinda warm and I knew it would be a few days till the parts got here. It was all apart anyway and the paint was falling off of it so I gave it a quick paint job, nothing fancy like others do, powder coating, etc.

Not really, I used Rustoleum industrial white paint. I may have to re-do some of it this summer. Hard to paint in this unpredictable weather. I have painted a couple of saws with spray can and then clear coated them, using urethane mixed with hardener, that works a lot better and keeps the paint from chipping. Had to use the spray gun for the clear. I don't do very many saws like this, wife keeps me in practice touching up her car..

Back