Stihl 044 crank seals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortalitool

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys

Replacing crank seals on my 044. Has 12mm piston pin. I got the seal in on the flywheel side but not the clutch side. Tried it once, looked goofy and failed the pressure/vacuum test. Tore that seal out and ordered a new one. Installed and looks like it won't pass the pressure/vacuum test again.

Is there 2 different seals used on the 044? Am I getting the wrong seal when ordering? I'm pretty sure I'm installing them correctly. Little lube, drive em in with a socket. Nothing crazy.

Give me some pointers guys. Need to get it back running.

The PTO side has a step in the crank. I use a small strip of a plastic bottle to make ramp. Oil the seal, slip it onto the plastic strip, slip this onto the crank, and slowly slide it down and over the crank step. Once you have the seal past the ramp, gently slip the plastic strip out and finish seating the seal.

I did notice the step in the crank. Makes sense to make a ramp for the seal to go around the step in the crank. Ill have to to to remove the crank seal and try er again.

Thanks a lot!

upload_2015-3-24_11-40-34.png

i can see item #11 is the bearing spacer. Usually that goes under the oiler worm gear. What does that have to do with installing the crank seal??

upload_2015-3-24_11-42-34.png

Right, I have nothing in the way. I have stripped the saw down and now re-assembling. I do not have anything in place on the clutch side.

Just the crank sticking out. Just having trouble installing the crank seal with out it blurbing up. ill try the idea nmurph stated above.

I will take some pictures after work today and post them. The crank has a step in it. After you see the pictures it will make sense.

The step doesnt allow the crankseal to fully seal around the crank. Its blurping up due to the step in the crank. Or as Brad noted above, PROLAPSING. haha. Nasty term.

Anyways, thanks for all of the help fellas. I usually hit them nice and square and they seat themselves. This one has me stumpt.

The PTO side has a step in the crank. I use a small strip of a plastic bottle to make ramp. Oil the seal, slip it onto the plastic strip, slip this onto the crank, and slowly slide it down and over the crank step. Once you have the seal past the ramp, gently slip the plastic strip out and finish seating the seal.
I installed oil pumps with the seals on 288s and 266 using microphishe film. You can twist it into the shape of a snow cone

Latest posts

Back