Stihl 044 or 038 Mag?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been on the hunt for a decent priced 044 for some while now...missed a few, passed on a few, yet a sweet 038 Mag has caught my attention.
Guy is willing to trade for my MS390, if I add about $150 difference.
Which saw would you guys prefer & do any of you have experience running both of them?
24 inch bar RS chain is going to be max outfit/duty for either...

I've read a ton of threads about pro's & cons on each...just would like to hear something fresh I guess.

Thanks
Reg

Finally,something i know something about.
I ran an 044 and and 038 magnum back to back for a couple of years,and really like both of them.
The 044 felt faster in the cut,the 038 seemed to have slightly more low end grunt,but there was very little between them.
the 044 was also slightly better in the handling department,a bit more nimble but not by much.
I sold the 038,and kept the 044,however i do think that when you add parts availability,and cheaper purchase price to the mix,the 038 comes in an extremely close second.

The 038M is heavier and slightly slower. Has bigger everything and more metal on it though.

They say that the 038's are built like tanks and are bulitproof. I can see why.

My pal bought an 038M new when the 044 was the "new" model. He's been using it for stumping for over 20 years now. It starts on the 3rd pull and he never has touched even the carb screws.

I'd say if the extra weight don't bother you, nothing wrong with the 038.

Hmm...decisions decisions...may hold out for an 044...especially now since he's @ $175 difference!! :dizzy::cry::dumb2:
Although I am in cahoots with a ole boy who swears he can "muffler mod & port" the 038 Mag to where it will make any 044 look like it cut off in the middle of a cut!!:rolleyes::chainsaw:
Talk is cheap...hmm?:reading::reading:

Hmm...decisions decisons...may hold out for an 044...especially now since he's @ $175 difference!! :dizzy::cry::dumb2:

the 038 may very well be built a little heavier duty but they will both last the average AS member a life time. the 038mag isn't a little bit slower either lol it's quite the turd.

Been on the hunt for a decent priced 044 for some while now...missed a few, passed on a few, yet a sweet 038 Mag has caught my attention.
Guy is willing to trade for my MS390, if I add about $150 difference.
Which saw would you guys prefer & do any of you have experience running both of them?
24 inch bar RS chain is going to be max outfit/duty for either...

I've read a ton of threads about pro's & cons on each...just would like to hear something fresh I guess.

Thanks
Reg
I have a 440 for sale IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1398.jpg IMG_1399.jpg IMG_1400.JPG IMG_1401.JPG

the 038 may very well be built a little heavier duty but they will both last the average AS member a life time. the 038mag isn't a little bit slower either lol it's quite the turd.

038M will run with a 044 all day. And when the 044 breaks, the 038M will finish the job.

038 "fan" here that's run 044. "turd"? ok, then... and ive only have/had 3 supers. got a mag on the way, just cause I'm curious of the diff bet it & supers.

We have wood here just as hard if not harder then the eastern pinners lol 038 should really shine here but it doesn't. I'm not saying it's a bad saw. It's a tank and all I'm saying is it won't run with an 044. Will it outlast it? Probably but the 044 is a way nicer saw to run.

We have wood here just as hard if not harder then the eastern pinners lol 038 should really shine here but it doesn't. I'm not saying it's a bad saw. It's a tank and all I'm saying is it won't run with an 044. Will it outlast it? Probably but the 044 is a way nicer saw to run.

Maybe and I know my 028S will be cutting when my 026s have died,

As far as "won't run with" put both buried in 25" hardwood. The 044 don't have the grunt, it will rev ,but won't bite in a cut like a 038M.

And a lb or two of metal sure beats plastic

I hope so I am buying the 044 now.

Latest posts

Back