Stihl 064 AV Rebuild Quandry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djlozar

Cordwooder
Reaction score
Good evening ASers. Been lurking for awhile but finally decided to say hello and show you a project I just started. I bought this 064 AV electronic quickstop last week. Good compression and it fired on the 4th pull. The guy I bought it from a fellow AS guy with lots of experience buying/repairing/selling chainsaws. I headed back home with a smile and intentions to tear it down as far as I needed to. Everything was going as planned until I found this crack. Its on the flywheel side and goes all the way thru, from what I gather.

Is the case toast? Or even worth messing with (ie: JB weld or equivalent)?

Bummed out in Montana. image.jpgimage.jpg

Tear down case remove crank have case blasted to find crack. Send case to Sean he welds alum on AS After fixed send out case to get powdered or get new case from dealer they come with bearings Need a gasket set comes with seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the fun of it

You can only get more from here

Build one run it

Bye another fix it

Etc etc

064 is always worth fixing :)
A ported 064 runs circles around a 660 and makes lewd jokes about a MS661's mom.
Hey Mike, which case side did I send you two of that ended up being the wrong side?
If it the flywheel side, send one to Montana and I'll pick up the postage
Dave

Well said about nothing being close in MT! Yesterday we drove six hrs to pick up a couch from my mother in law...didnt even get east of Central Montana! Tough place to beat.

Beautiful country

Pm me your cell ill call ya

Well talk about your choices on saw

Have to agree with Dave, I have a mate here with an 064, and its an absolute beast of a saw..he has gutted the muffler and that's it I think, but it sends chips for miles and eats anything....agree that it makes the 660 look weak. I've "hinted" many times I'd buy it in a flash. I'm in NZ, I have not seen many 064s to be honest. I haven't used his 064, but to me it seems every bit as grunty (if not more, to be honest) as my 661 when watching him cut. I enjoy just watching this beast doing what it does best.
Just my 2c worth, I'm no expert, but if I had the chance of an 064 over here I'd jump at it.

Back