Stihl 064 AV Rebuild Quandry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to agree with Dave, I have a mate here with an 064, and its an absolute beast of a saw..he has gutted the muffler and that's it I think, but it sends chips for miles and eats anything....agree that it makes the 660 look weak. I've "hinted" many times I'd buy it in a flash. I'm in NZ, I have not seen many 064s to be honest. I haven't used his 064, but to me it seems every bit as grunty (if not more, to be honest) as my 661 when watching him cut. I enjoy just watching this beast doing what it does best.
Just my 2c worth, I'm no expert, but if I had the chance of an 064 over here I'd jump at it.

I've got a couple in varying states, none are runners yet though.One of them is going to get an 066 cylinder that doesn't have decomp on it. Keep an eye on trade me this one wouldn't win any beauty contests but the price was good , http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=955736040

I should be able to patch that case side up. As for the fuel tank and handle asm maybe someone else will have a congestion. Only an early 066 (short case) or an 064 tank will work.

was this saw sold to you as a project to rebuild?
If so then this is what a project is and hopefully it was priced appropriately
If you bought it as a good runner that you were just going to clean up?
from the tear down pics which load very slowly for some reason, it looked like a builder from the start
if the repaired tank doesn't leak, just use it until you come across a good replacement
Dave

I bought the saw because it ran and had good compression. I definitely had no intent of buying it to rebuild. Initial cost was $400. The seller has been incredibly gracious as he is looking for cases and will discount the saw if he finds one. Otherwise he is willing to refund the entire cost if doesnt work out.

I have never rebuilt a chainsaw before, but I am gaining inspiration as I tore it down and read some great threads. The work ahead appears to be very doable but I am not naive at the same time. I got a baby boy do in December too!

Part of my inspiration comes from father who cut firewood all our life with an old Stihl 031 AV which finally crapped out a few years ago. Its been sitting in the barn ever since. He turns 67 next April and my goal would be to learn enough rebuilding the 064 that I could roll into the 031 and give him his saw back, just cherry'd out. Some of my best memories of me, my dad, my brothers and grandpa come from cutting wood and driving around the forest in our '69 Ford Camper Special. Itd blow his mind.

Maybe a little ambitious but doable.

No kidding. Really a legit guy.

I posted a "want to buy" 064 case in the traders forum this morning. The two my seller had lined up, both ended up having cracks too. Notorious problem or just misuse?

All I have is short style 066 cases which will have the incorrect cylinder bolt pattern and thread size.

@djlozar Please let the people who have broken cases know that they can be fixed so they don't just throw them away. I only charge around $30 an hour so the average case weld up ends up around $30-45 if it's just one crack and minimal machining is needed. Also I only bead blast whats needed so repainting isn't always necessary. It seems the paint flakes off these old Stihl cases pretty easy anyway so they are always missing paint.

Not being familiar w/ the process, how strong does the weld end up being? Being that is located in a high stress location, is the weld going to hold up? Vibration and torque seems like it'd wear that weld down. I've heard, at least in steel, that a weld can actually be stronger than the materials its joining.

I assume you'd be able to bead blast the entire unit if I was going to get it powder coated?

The weld will be plenty strong. Those cracks started from a major injury... not time and stress. The weld itself will be stronger than the base material but the heat effected zone will always be the weakest part.

If you wanted to send it off for powder coat I could blast the whole part, but they'll probably re-blast it anyway in prep for the powder coat.

Back