Stihl 064 Rebuild and Restoration!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up this saw in May of 2013. Found it on Craigslist in Portland Oregon. I asked my Father in law who lives there if he could check it out for me. He agreed and took his logging buddy with him. All checked out ok mechanically so I had him buy it. He drained it and shipped it over to me in Pittsburgh. Here's what it looked like when I got it. The plastic looked good on the CL post but I found out when I got it that it was a fresh rattle can finish.:confused:
ajuzyqu5.jpg
zy5u2ydu.jpg
pujazyda.jpg
vuse5eqa.jpg

When I bought it I really didnt think I was going to keep it. Had thoughts of cleaning it up and maybe make a buck on it. I got interested in the 064 because my buddy Glock37 had just picked one up and was starting to do his magic on his. A few weeks later I answered a Craigslist ad for free Red Oak firewood. The lady said the tree was big. I asked for some pictures and she said pictures wont do it justice. So I go to check it out and it was at that point I knew I was keeping the saw. My son agrees with me!
ypetu8u5.jpg
re7uhage.jpg

So I used the saw for the next month or two then at end of the summer I drained it and put it away for the winter. Every once in a while Mike would ask me when we powdering your 064? I knew I would eventually get to it but I work a lot of hours and have kids involved in many things so time to work on that saw was not there!

Fast forward to late winter early spring of this year. I decide im going to clean up the 064 and get it ready to cut some firewood! I order a carb kit and start to dive in. Now I really should have done this process when I first got it but I didnt. While im waiting for the carb kit to come I grab a fuel line and filter and an impulse line. I start to take the saw apart for the spring cleaning and here's what I found when I went looking for the carb.
a8ytuju5.jpg

I thought wow is that dirty! Maybe I should strip the saw down and give it a really good cleaning. About 30 minutes into it I had the cylinder off and was on the phone with Mike asking when can we get the 064 powdered?
ja9evaze.jpg
agypeme8.jpg

Then the long process of trying to find all the parts to complete the project! Wow what a difficult task that was. Fortunately I was able to find everything I wanted and needed to finish the project the way I wanted to!

Looks good Dan, I really like the look of the bare mag cases.

Oh wait a minute are you permitted to post in my thread?
Maybe not but you littered up mine with pictures of your metal tag covers all braggy like talkin about how much cooler your saw will be then my dusty ol turd with plastic tags...yea I'm pretty sure you said that too. So yes...I gave myself permission to post on your thread. And your title is no good by the way...you should beg a mod to change it to what it really should be. Jerky jerk pants. So Is it running yet?:bowdown:

Maybe not but you littered up mine with pictures of your metal tag covers all braggy like talkin about how much cooler your saw will be then my dusty ol turd with plastic tags...yea I'm pretty sure you said that too. So yes...I gave myself permission to post on your thread. And your title is no good by the way...you should beg a mod to change it to what it really should be. Jerky jerk pants. So Is it running yet?:bowdown:

Damn I like the way to grown men have a battle over each others threads !

And I thought watching 2 women fight was fun this is better !

only kidding

its the battle of the find to get the parts you need from all the places you can gather them from

im hoping we can do a video with dans stock saw and compare it to mine Masterminded 064 Beast !

now that will bring out the Chests a little bit !

Wow the hostility! You mean something like this?
gu3avygy.jpg

Damn I like the way to grown men have a battle over each others threads !

And I thought watching 2 women fight was fun this is better !

only kidding

its the battle of the find to get the parts you need from all the places you can gather them from

im hoping we can do a video with dans stock saw and compare it to mine Masterminded 064 Beast !

now that will bring out the Chests a little bit !
We will definitely do that Mike! And dont forget my 064 has a date with the Monkey also! So it looks like we will do it again later this summer!

Back