Stihl 064 Rebuild and Restoration!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I get set to build some is there anything I should be looking for in the cylinders or other parts that makes a better saw, along the lines of the D cylinder for the 046?
And I have a decent number of 064 tank/handles but they are different too anything to look for there or in crankcases?
This thread is always a good read.
DDave

Just make sure you have the correct coil mounting holes in the flywheel side case to fit the proper coil to it

if I remember right theres a bunch of combos to go with coil ,flywheel, cases halves

As I get set to build some is there anything I should be looking for in the cylinders or other parts that makes a better saw, along the lines of the D cylinder for the 046?
And I have a decent number of 064 tank/handles but they are different too anything to look for there or in crankcases?
This thread is always a good read.
DDave

Keep the KS jugs with the KS pistons......Mahle with Mahle.

I am assuming the number/letter sequences on the base of the jugs mean something, is it important to building the best saw?
I am planning to do one total NOS build and have a Mahle set for that, all the others I have are KS and I have three pistons for the five jugs, I was going to use Meteor for the other two, are OEM 064 pistons markedly better?
IMG_6655_zpsgdmctk9k.jpg

used nice jugs are marked
081/B1+
081/2B++
081/B1
081/2A
081/2A+
the Mahle has +++++ 52ZN19 W4

are any of these special?

the KS jugs are better ported......or so we all believe. look on the inside of the pistons with a bright light for the KS symbol that kinda looks like a dollar sign. it will be kinda elongated in the pistons.
i think what randy meant was to to keep the pistons and jugs the same make if you can.
i would speculate that the earliest jug may be the best......but it only a speculation.

just a google image sir ,the ms640 was a european model i believe ,still sold long after the 064 was cancelled here if i remeber right .

Hmmm... and I thought Randy didn't like 3/4 wraps on the 1122 saws, because his widdle hand would get too hot....

Seems that is just a full wrap thing. The brake handle leaves a hole that heat from the muffler rolls up thru. No problem on the 3/4 wrap.

My widdle hand does not enjoy being fried. :laugh:

Got the 064 out today for a little work! I also just got my 044 back from Tennessee last Saturday so it got some run time also! Both saws ran great but I think the 064 is running a little rich. I did lean it out just a touch but will check it with the tach tomorrow. I was cutting some Ash trees at a neighbors house. We got most of the job done today and will finish it on Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back