Stihl 064 vs 460,(make mine an 064 please)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After reading some of the 064 threads recently, I decided to do a crude comparison with my 064 and 460. We'll start with power. The 064 certainly has more grunt. In small wood, I don't think you'd notice the difference. In bigger wood,(20" plus) the 064 really shines. It has noticeably more power in the cut. I wieghed the power heads on my hanging scale. The 460 was appx 1/2 full of fuel and oil. It came in at 16 lbs even. The 064 was near full of fuel and oil. It came in at 17.5 lbs. I'm going to say with fuel differences, the 064 is about 1 lb heavier. In my hands, I really can't tell the wieght difference. The ergonomics are about the same. I realize this is a crude comparison and they are both great saws. If I had to choose one, it would be the 064.

Well.... the 064 has more cc's so i would hope that it would have more grunt.. i know their numbers (46 64) look simalar but they are different...
Next can you compare a 009 and a 090

ya.. but weigh difference is sooo close. it really is more valid than you think.

064 has one of the highest power to weight ration for big saws!!

got both and it's a toss up on which one I'll pick. running 20in bar for 046 and 24in bar on 064. both saws rips thru wood... when I want to really go fast, 064 comes out.

You are comparing a 90cc saw to a 76 cc saw, no wonder the 064 wins:dizzy:

Both saws have a 52mm bore but the 046 has a 36mm stroke while the 064 has a 40mm.
this is 84.9cc vs 76.5cc

Wow a bunch of smarta$$es here tonight ;). They aren't that far off in displacement roughly 77 cc's vs 85 cc's. The 064 and 46 have the same 52 mm bore, but the 064 has a longer stroke. Weight wise I doubt they are too far off.

But price... A new ms460 is (DSRP) with 20" $820
New ms 650 is $920

Yes i'll take it for $100 more...

(believe it or not, i am agreeing with MOE)

But price... A new ms460 is (DSRP) with 20" $820
New ms 650 is $920

Yes i'll take it for $100 more...

(believe it or not, i am agreeing with MOE)

Your one of the few that would buy a 650...if your going to spend the $920 MSRP then spend another $100 for the 660. The 650 has been a major stihl marketing flop imo and its sales numbers prove it. If your looking at used saws an 064 is a great performing saw and can usually be had for less than a good 046 or 460. However it is often overlooked and doesn't get mentioned often.

Last edited:
wouldn't buy a 650? How about at a price of 799.00 They were/are a flop, but wait til you see the new prices!:greenchainsaw:

064's were a few hundred less than the 66, yet there would be 30 66's for every 064 I see. In fact I only know one person whose brought one and he thinks trailers are superior to chippers and that tirfers are to expensive to be worth getting. Id rather have the 46 or 66, why mess with Ms inbetween?

I have a 064 (stock) and a 046 mag dp (stock) and I really dont notice alot of difference in the weight and the power of them. I owned the 064 first used so may be the 064 dosent have the power of new, but I bought the o46 new.

power to weight ratio... 064 is the lightest big saw you can haul up a tree.

wouldn't even consider buying a MS 650. why get a saw that essentially weights same as 660, with less power.

most folks are not aware of 064's potential. so prices are considerably less for used 064 vs 066.

pers and that tirfers are to expensive to be worth getting. Id rather064's were a few hundred less than the 66, yet there would be 30 66's for every 064 I see. In fact I only know one person whose brought one and he thinks trailers are superior to chip have the 46 or 66, why mess with Ms inbetween?

The reason for this post was?......

This post made me think about something.
Is there a situation were a smaller saw can out cut a higher CC saw?
Bar length, tree size, etc.

We all know weight can contribute to fatigue, and decrease transition between cuts. (Larger sawFuel economy too). But other than that why wouldn't you want more power?

This post made me think about something.
Is there a situation were a smaller saw can out cut a higher CC saw?
Bar length, tree size, etc.

We all know weight can contribute to fatigue, and decrease transition between cuts. (Larger sawFuel economy too). But other than that why wouldn't you want more power?

Pandora's box alert!! :popcorn:

Back