Stihl 064 vs 460,(make mine an 064 please)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
460 064 066 ms660

Well this thred may be aging like myself but its fascinating topic and good to stumble on during a related search.Used an 046 which for the physical size was a proper little trooper , keeping its head up cutting next to a Husqy 395 in bluegum. Then came an MS660 which I noted after an hour a bloody grunty cutter and no award for seeing why its the current choice of so many professional forestry personell worldwide today.So I bought myself an 066,it was cheap , old , and could be repaired with a mix of old and new parts MS660.I've seen written quotes of minute changes in some components ,one of which is the ports and so slight you need a micrometer to read the shift.Apparently amounts to half a horse? BUT now I have bought an 064 which has almost 66 power and almost only the weight of th 460.certainly a bit smaller than the 66.As I tried one & was so impressed ,one had to join my collection.Thers a bunch of technical plus to the last purchase that I'm itchin to have a belt at. Tryin 660BB pis.cyl.??Any warnings in that?

How about a 046 BB vs a 064? I am about to put a 046BB P&C on a 044, with a modded muffler, and wonder how it compares to a stock 064. Anybody tried yet?

I would buy (and am trying to buy) a 650. if you can snag a 650 cheap which they ussually are you can throw a 660 topend on it or even a BB top end and have a screamer cheap.

Hi blsnelling ,you made a comment here about no regrets fitting a BB660 kit to the 064. I have almost got the bits here and I notice you have snellerized saws on your monnica next to the post above , so it seems you may be someone worth listening to about these matters?? Have you had an experience with these hotted up like so? What areas should I pay attention to before running this conversion? Hope you have some usefull advice you'll pass on !!?Please?

get into forum tools ... dig into threads started by brad (blsnelling)
you will find a wealth of info already posted ...

Hi blsnelling ,you made a comment here about no regrets fitting a BB660 kit to the 064. I have almost got the bits here and I notice you have snellerized saws on your monnica next to the post above , so it seems you may be someone worth listening to about these matters?? Have you had an experience with these hotted up like so? What areas should I pay attention to before running this conversion? Hope you have some usefull advice you'll pass on !!?Please?

I could be wrong but this pic looks like a 66 to me.

Make mine an 064(066?)

well The pic was off the ad I bought it from an auction house online. It arrived today and I cant read the worn numbers but there is definitely no 4 where the 4(064) should be and the covers virtually identical to my MS660 .tank looks the same.so I'll look into this as you may be correct.I'm still not certain why they would call a 66 an 064 nor how the buyer could make a mistake like that? They are usually checked by a stihl dealer for condition I believe.Mind you they said it runs rough which it did, i found the plug has no nipple scrrewed on it so it may be fine? Wanted the 064 though,might just weigh it.See what i got sold .Thanks for the direct on snelling.Cheers::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

keep in mind guys, that stihl sold a ms 640 over seas that looks just like a ms650/660.

food for thought, all the plastics and gas tank from a 660 will fit a 064, so they could have swapped it out too.

well The pic was off the ad I bought it from an auction house online. It arrived today and I cant read the worn numbers but there is definitely no 4 where the 4(064) should be and the covers virtually identical to my MS660 .tank looks the same.so I'll look into this as you may be correct.I'm still not certain why they would call a 66 an 064 nor how the buyer could make a mistake like that? They are usually checked by a stihl dealer for condition I believe.Mind you they said it runs rough which it did, i found the plug has no nipple scrrewed on it so it may be fine? Wanted the 064 though,might just weigh it.See what i got sold .Thanks for the direct on snelling.Cheers::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

JL, if you're still around, which saw did they sell you? I wouldn't complain if I received a 066 for the price of a 064 :msp_biggrin:.

Hi all,

I'm looking at a second hand Stihl 064 going for £400 ($580). Is this a good price for one? I want something with enough grunt for a modest Alaskan mill set up. Would this be an appropriate saw?

Thanks
Tian

Hi all,

I'm looking at a second hand Stihl 064 going for £400 ($580). Is this a good price for one? I want something with enough grunt for a modest Alaskan mill set up. Would this be an appropriate saw?

Thanks
Tian

you could do it but 064 would be marginal for an Alaskan mill
this is where an old 084 or larger would be much better

Latest posts

Back