Stihl 064 with 066BB, along with a complete rebuild of the bottom end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, a little recap from where I was three weeks or so ago. I snapped a bailey's ring putting the jug on, so I needed a new ring or rings. Instead of going with the Bailey's rings; I went with some husky 395 rings. Those rings took 3 weeks to come in, but I was able to ride my motorcycle up in the beautiful weather friday and pick them up. Before assembling the saw, I took out the 1mm bailey's base gasket and tried a stihl .5mm base gasket. My dad has some old school caliper reading devices and I got right around .030 squish. That was very surprising to me....with the bailey's gasket it was over .040.....so I went with the Stihl gasket. I also had to go with a newer 066 coil, as the 064 coil was dead.

Friday night I installed everything and fired it up. I was nervous that it might blow, but started up quickly. It vibrated quite a bit for the first minute or so, but soon went away after that. I don't know what the problem was, but it seemed to solve itself. I made sure the saw turned over smooth and without any rubbing or notching before starting. After that, the saw has been running sweet. Just got back inside from cutting on my cherry test log. It cuts well and sounds very, very nice with the DP muffler. Just need a few minor parts and some clutch springs (can't get the chain to stop while idling); then it is off to my tree buddy for some real use. He just had his 066 blow a bearing, so he will appreciate having this one around for a while.

Now for some pictures:
For a under 300 bucks, I have this:

hpim2420.jpg

hpim2421.jpg

hpim2422h.jpg

hpim2423k.jpg

For anyone wanting to attempt this project. It is intensive and will take time and money. I guess you could grind on the case without splitting it, but that will be risky. Also, if you can find a good 066 top end for the money of a BB kit, I would go that route. The BB kit is a good bang for the buck and with a few replacement parts, seems to be a good runner, but the 066 top end is a proven design and just needs to be slotted and bolted down. The BB kit needs more attention to get a runner.

Here are some more pictures:
Here is my JB weld fix on the broken dawg mount. I put a metal insert in the old hole, then applied JB around it. Then I put a layer of fiberglass over it and finished with another layer of JB. Seems strong, but only time will tell.

hpim2424.jpg

My bet up Muffler cover. Sounds great though. You can see some of the JB weld job too:

hpim2425.jpg

Looks like a normal 064.....that how I like it.;):

hpim2426.jpg

Vibration...did you make sure the piston would clear the base gasket? The .5mm 066 gaskets that I have, some from the Stihl dealer, won't clear my BB piston. The stock 064 base gasket would.

Your bucking spike mount will stand a better chance of surviving if you mount the matching spike on the clutch cover. The roller chain catcher is a recommended upgrade, but only works properly with dual spikes.

Vibration...did you make sure the piston would clear the base gasket? The .5mm 066 gaskets that I have, some from the Stihl dealer, won't clear my BB piston. The stock 064 base gasket would.

Your bucking spike mount will stand a better chance of surviving if you mount the matching spike on the clutch cover. The roller chain catcher is a recommended upgrade, but only works properly with dual spikes.

I forgot to mention I did open up the stihl 066 gasket I used to match the Bailey's one. I paid close attention to how it turned over. Everything was normal.

I will be getting another spike. Just need to do some digging in a friend's 066 parts saws.

Did you tach tune it?

It won't idle quite right until you get the clutch sorted out.

No taching yet. I usually just go by ear anyways. I usually tune to 4-stroking and then a tad richer. It is a little rich on the H right now, gonna adjust it next time out.

It idles fine, just the chain keeps moving. I will get some clutch springs some time this week.

Awesome!

Glad it's up and running, looks great!

Just something about the sound of an 066. While I like the light/small package of my 044>046BB converted saw, my 066 just feels mean when it idles...it must be that extra long 40mm stroke..:greenchainsaw:

Look out wood!!!:clap:

Picked up some clutch springs and now have no chain creeping. Idles perfect too.:clap: Just need to rob a tank breather and the metal shim that goes in the chain brake on the starter side off my buddies parts saws and I am good to go.

Hows that saw runnin'? I got mine out today to replace the clutch springs. While I had it out I put a tach on it and it's turning 14,400. Any word on the Bing 49 carb kits?

I put a tank through it today. Ran well and cut nice. Obviously still breaking in though, just doesn't quite have that torque yet. Sucks fuel pretty good though. Soon, I want to do a little testing with my 064, 064 with 066BB, and the stock 660 at work. Should be a fun comparison.

Carb kits are a no go. I must have been smoking something thinking that I ordered one before, because the Bing isn't even listed in his set of IPL's.:dizzy::dizzy:

I also put a tank through a 361 that I just fixed up and my new to me Partner P500. Both of those ran well. 361 was very smooth and ripped pretty good. The P500 was a little fat on the topend, so I leaned it up and that thing was cutting pretty damn good. It just crowded my 50cc class up some more.

Good. I still barely have any time on it, a little more than a tank of fuel. So it definitely isn't broken in yet. I ran it at the GTG. Ran a decent time, considering I suck at cutting cants. It was also running a 24" bar, so I lost some time there. I plan on getting some more time on it come summertime.:cheers:

Back