stihl 066 cylinder gasket question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiotwithasaw

another row to hoe
Reaction score
Which way is "up" on these coated metal gaskets. I have a feeling I already know the answer, but I want to hear from someone who actually knows. Unlike me. Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG1733.jpg
    IMAG1733.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 32
According to the official stihl repair manuel the cyl base gasket is installed with" the curvature facing down"

If there is not a notch in the gasket to align with the impulse corridor there would be no difference in orientation. Think about it, its a sandwich between two machined surfaces, as long as the attaching bolts will pass through the holes it will work either way.

If there is not a notch in the gasket to align with the impulse corridor there would be no difference in orientation. Think about it, its a sandwich between two machined surfaces, as long as the attaching bolts will pass through the holes it will work either way.
That's what I thought but the manual says the above post.

That's what I thought but the manual says the above post.

I do understand the manual, good of you to post it but they have to cover all the bases and have a standard set of rules for the assembly line to follow, dealers have to follow these guidelines also due to warranty work. Once a saw is out of manufacturer warranty then it can be worked on by any mechanic and a lot of those mechanics have a real understanding of how machines and things mechanical work, they are not hamstrung by the manufacturers tunnel vision. I am one of the latter type and therefore have the opportunity of free thinking and not having to follow a manual word for word. Just a collective of 57 years at the trade.

I do understand the manual, good of you to post it but they have to cover all the bases and have a standard set of rules for the assembly line to follow, dealers have to follow these guidelines also due to warranty work. Once a saw is out of manufacturer warranty then it can be worked on by any mechanic and a lot of those mechanics have a real understanding of how machines and things mechanical work, they are not hamstrung by the manufacturers tunnel vision. I am one of the latter type and therefore have the opportunity of free thinking and not having to follow a manual word for word. Just a collective of 57 years at the trade.
57 years of the trade will make you wise:cheers: any time I need help I will ask you.

I guess stihl is a little bi polar on this subject. Thanks for the responses it's appreciated.

Back