Stihl 066 cylinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an old beat up 066 that needs another cylinder. I found a parts ms660 and I took the cylinder off and found this. I tried to clean it up with some wet 1000 grit sand paper. Would this cylinder be salvageable?
Thanks
6803eaa993649a1e93f4aea0526f7fbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am working on other saws now but I may just try it. It took a year to find a second 066 at a junkyard. So I could just try it and keep watching for another one.

We'll find out, but I'd bet there's also a good possibility it will fill with carbon and be surprisingly ok

I have an old beat up 066 that needs another cylinder. I found a parts ms660 and I took the cylinder off and found this. I tried to clean it up with some wet 1000 grit sand paper. Would this cylinder be salvageable?
Thanks
6803eaa993649a1e93f4aea0526f7fbb.jpg

If its a low dollar effort.....I would stuff a Huztl $30 dollar top end on it before trying this cylinder. It would probably run as the gouge won't really hurt anything. Too small to make a huge difference when it vents pressure at that part of the cycle.. but still will drop the pressure somewhat. Its the other implied stuff on that cylinder and AM top ends are so inexpensive....if it doesn't matter.... go 56mm!

Looks like it has bruised much of the exhaust port roof, possibly circlip damage or a misguided piston stop! I would measure the compression, 145-150PSIis sort of where you need to be, any lower and I would be concerned. I usually take the piston with rings and push it up and down the bore and if it catches the high point, I get a diamond burr and dremmel the high area to flatten it a little, use emery or a light hone and then see if the piston is free moving again once cleaned. The art is getting the area level with the rest of the bore.

I have done some pretty scrap cylinders and have had success for minimal cost. The engine can't see what you and I do. Some damage may look bad but the engine can run surprisingly well carrying some bad looking damage!

Latest posts

Back