Stihl 066 model differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Livin

I DON'T EVEN BURN WOOD
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a stihl 066 and through some research I see a few different model. What are the main difference in the 066 saw. i.e. Flat top, round top, red light, non decomp, and decomp. Which model would be the better one to have?

Red light has a limited coil and are very strong saws. The flat tops have the smaller oil tank. The early flat tops with the smaller oil tank I believe we're supposed to have better jugs as far as the port timing goes and some of those early saws used a lighter crank that was supposedly prone to breaking. I could be wrong but there were flat tops that had a decomp and some that didn't.
The bubble tops had the larger oil tanks, stronger cranks and as far as I know all had decomps. The early bubble top saws were pretty strong runners but then the epa got involved and along came crappy port timing and very restrictive mufflers.
I could be wrong on some of the stuff I said( it's happened before). I'm sure someone with more knowledge then me will soon chime in.

The best one is tbe one you find for the best price....really, they are all great, stout work horses. Never met a good running 066 I didn't like.....the older flat top non decomp are the manliest . Like an old pan head with a side shifter and a foot clutch....Best bring yer man pants when ya run one of them.

The latest 066 versions were nearly identical to the MS660 including utilizing the plastic flywheel. I had a late 066 and MS660 at the same time and didn't notice any differences other than the labels. (The MS660 is one of the few MS saws that didn't get the flippy cap curse.)

The early 066 has shorter handlebars like the 064 and are interchangeable. One difference I've noticed between the early 066 and the late 066 besides the flat top to round top is the top front of the crankcase is rounded on the late models and stepped on the early.

The best one is tbe one you find for the best price....really, they are all great, stout work horses. Never met a good running 066 I didn't like.....the older flat top non decomp are the manliest . Like an old pan head with a side shifter and a foot clutch....Best bring yer man pants when ya run one of them.
I love the bike reference. I'm a motorcycle technician and have rode a couple foot clutch shovles. Watch out for those left turns lol. Anyway I'm less then an hour from picking up a 066 with a bad topend for $250. Seems like a pretty good deal if the rest of it is solid. What do you think? Not sure which configuration it is yet but seems like they are a runners any way you stick it.

I love the bike reference. I'm a motorcycle technician and have rode a couple foot clutch shovles. Watch out for those left turns lol. Anyway I'm less then an hour from picking up a 066 with a bad topend for $250. Seems like a pretty good deal if the rest of it is solid. What do you think? Not sure which configuration it is yet but seems like they are a runners any way you stick it.
Can't really go wrong for $250. Parts are everywhere and you can't find an easier saw to break down.

Can't really go wrong for $250. Parts are everywhere and you can't find an easier saw to break down.
Yep already done tore it down. Other then what I can only say must of bein caused by overheating and a good size chunk of carbon sticking just right of the exhaust port and then eating away the piston the whole saw is very clean and all original. Both spark arrestor screens were still in the factory duel port muffler which means it a 066 magnum red light. I'm wondering whats the best top end to toss on it. I want a bb with popup and the hyway
I really like the 066 and ms 660 saws. They are very easy to work on and most of the parts interchange with very little to know modifications. They are easily in my top 5 must have saws. I love mine. :rock:
Wouldn't by any chance have a good used piston and cylinder for one would u?

Don't think anyone else has quite mentioned it yet but then there are all the various ignitions that came in 066's. I found this out when searching for an ignition. There was a lengthy thread here somewhere I'm sure a search would yield. If I remember correctly the poly flywheel and that ignition was highly regarded.

Latest posts

Back