Stihl 066 vs 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When did Stihl change the 066 to the 660? Saw a saw at pawn shop and wondered how old it might be.

Doesnt really matter. I'm not a Stihl guy but know an 066 will spank a 660.

Doesnt really matter. I'm not a Stihl guy but know an 066 will spank a 660.

Not necessarily. Ive heard that the real early 066 red eye non decomps were extremely impressive saws and better than the 660. However some of the decomp 066s from around the mid 90s arent that good. The reason being they are prone to having the crankshaft sheared off due to the heavier aluminium flywheel. Which is why Stihl changed to poly I believe. Very costly repair if this happens. Now a 660 is lacking power due to the epa. But this is a rather easy fix. Poke a couple of holes in the muffler with a drill or dremel and swap the carb to a 066 you can get them off ebay for cheap $30-40 or so and youve got a damn good saw.

Older is not always better.

Most of the changes were in the early 2000s for the 066 series to the 660. The cylinders on the older saws were better for power. The newer poly flywheel cases and cranks are better.

The only difference between the last of the 066's made and the 660 is the number on the side of the chainsaw.

For several years in the 90's, the 066 went through a lot of changes.

I have a frankinsaw 066 that has the first cylinder with no decompression and the last 066 crankcase with the poly flywheel and a opened up Magnum muffler.

P9110114-1.jpg

Anyone have the dual port muffler cover part number handy? My Stihl dealer couldn't come up with it. Thanks. (late model 066, MS660) with the poly flywheel.

There are LOTS of minor, and not so minor, changes made throughout the lifetime of the 066/660. Many of these were made before it changed to the 660. Your best bet is to find the many threads that discuss this in older posts.

The 660 Magnum dual port muffler

1122 140 0800 is the front cover

1122 140 0603 is the main body

Then there are the two screens and the screw for the cover screen

The 660 Magnum dual port muffler

1122 140 0800 is the front cover

1122 140 0603 is the main body

Then there are the two screens and the screw for the cover screen

Thanks, are both parts required? ie the main body in addition to the front cover? (I have the oem muffler)

Is there not a specific yr for the designation change? That's all I was asking.

I was told by the logger I got my 066 from that 2002 was when they went with the ms660 designation.

The 066 he has looks nearly new so I know it's at LEAST 10 yrs old then. THANKS! I don't mind reading/learning more either way!

The 066 he has looks nearly new so I know it's at LEAST 10 yrs old then. THANKS! I don't mind reading/learning more either way!

Well, if the saw looks great, that is some value right there. ie, even if the engine was blown it would be worth a couple hundred. If the compression is good and the saw runs well I would go for it if you are looking for a saw in this class. Some versions of the model may have been better than others but as far as I know they are all good. Pawn shops don't usually invest a lot into chain saws (or any other item) so make an offer. I have mentioned it on here before but I have actually purchased items from pawn shops for half of their asking price. Once I made an offer on a large torque wrench, they said no so I left. A month later I came back and mentioned my previous offer and said I was still willing to pay that amount. I brought it home.

So go buy it and then report back...

Get the serial number off of it and call or email Stihl with it and have them give you the year and date it was made.

I have a late model 066 from around 2001/2002. It looks identical to a current model 660, muffler and all. It does have a Mahle cylinder, unlike the current model. It seems to run a bit better than a well broken in very recent 660. I have heard that the cylinder porting has been made less then optimal for performance over the years.

From memory, I think the 1122 140 0603 is the entire muffler assembly front and back, from the 066.

Last edited:
Back