Stihl 070 in need of repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckq777

Reaction score
New to the site and milling. Just purchased my first milling saw from a extremely nice member of this site an 390xp. While showing my neighbor my saw and explaining my new venture he showed me this older 070.

The saw does not get spark currently but has ran in the past. We do not suspect any compression issues. Would it be costly to send the saw out for repair? and if repaired would this saw function well to compliment my new saw?

If the saw would be beneficial to me where would I send it out to get repaired? and what would you estimate a repair like this would cost.

Thanks for the time!
Chuck

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 39
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 37
New to the site and milling. Just purchased my first milling saw from a extremely nice member of this site an 390xp. While showing my neighbor my saw and explaining my new venture he showed me this older 070.

The saw does not get spark currently but has ran in the past. We do not suspect any compression issues. Would it be costly to send the saw out for repair? and if repaired would this saw function well to compliment my new saw?

If the saw would be beneficial to me where would I send it out to get repaired? and what would you estimate a repair like this would cost.

Thanks for the time!
Chuck

If I'm not mistaken, it's possible to convert an 070 to an 090 by swapping out the piston and cylinder. Then you'd have the king of the milling saws. But the 070 would also make a great milling saw, maybe comparable to the 076. The ignition systems on both the 070 and 090 saws are probably also the same, so that would be a fairly simple repair. There's lots of 090 parts available on ebay. These saws are valuable and sell for high prices, so they are certainly worth fixing. Nobody in their right mind would send either a non running 070 or 090 to the scrapyard, you can get big bucks just for a parts saw. These older saws make better milling saws because they have great torque.

Hey chuck just found a electronic ignition from northwood saw for 50.00 just a FYI if you no what that is

do it yourself..going to a dealer,, will cost you farrr more than the saw is worth...

Also Chuck, there are plenty of people in the chainsaw forum that will give you help as to how to do it. Also, there are lots of threads already published in the chainsaw forum about fixing these old Stihls, they are everybody's favorites.

Thanks for all assistance on this issue. Deano31 lives close and is going to help me with the rebuild !!!!

Probably has dirty points or a bad condensor. Not much to go wrong here. Rarely they have the Bosch electronic ignition which is readily swapped out to points.

I have the correct flywheel puller for this old girl and can help if needed. I see you boys are from Jersey. I work in Morristown.

William thank you for the offer chuck is not far from the hospital so we will let you know. I have not even started to rip it apart yet had to finish up what I had started. But again thank you and I will let you know

Back