Stihl 084 and 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had problems with the rubber mounts not holding up with the longer bars with the 088's especially the upper rear one.

so, not to beat a dead horse, but can you bolt an 088 top end on an 084 case? some saws can benefit from this. for instance you can use a husqvqrna 272 cylinder/piston on a husky 66 and gain some power and torque. does the 084 case have the same displacement as the 088? do the carburetors match up? has anyone tried it?

thanks

heyduke

so, not to beat a dead horse, but can you bolt an 088 top end on an 084 case?
I'm told that it is not feasible to put an 088 jug on an 084, though I haven't tried it myself.

does the 084 case have the same displacement as the 088? do the carburetors match up? has anyone tried it?
They tell me that the carbs can swap. Not sure about 088 case displacement, but it is not important. Chainsaw case volume tends to be tight, prolly more due to space limitations than power enhancement. Bigger case volume makes the power curve broader.

thanks mntgun-

i won't think about the 084 to 088 field modification again. i suspect that the 084 may actually be superior for the kind of work i do anyway, less peaky, tamer, with a bit more huevos at lower rpms. i agree that larger cases and ergo, longer strokes make for a broad power band. compare the husky 272 with the stihl 046 or 044. they both have about the same power but the stihl has it all over the place and the operator doesn't have to think too much.

thanks again for the help.

heyduke

088 Mag came in tonight with a plug in the compression release :msp_scared:. I put in a new release before starting it. It needs some spring cleaning, the once over and something to eat.

I'm told that it is not feasible to put an 088 jug on an 084, though I haven't tried it myself.

They tell me that the carbs can swap. Not sure about 088 case displacement, but it is not important. Chainsaw case volume tends to be tight, prolly more due to space limitations than power enhancement. Bigger case volume makes the power curve broader.
so can a 088 top be put on a 084 as i have to replace my 088 case and was thinking of using a 084 case

Back