Stihl 084 AV Ignition Coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread fascinates me because I have an 084 sitting on the floor. It starts and runs, but it will not slow down to idle. I rebuilt the engine and it has spectacular compression. But, for some reason, the idle will not drop down to below 4000 RPM regardless of idle setting or low-speed carb setting. Other than that, the saw is a beast.

What's the easiest fix?

Bah - not worth messing with. Just send it to me and I'll figure out something to do with it. ;)

i don't know if all 084's came set up with the dual keyway slots but i believe the later ones did...ive only worked on one...but the later ones changed from the cdic(limited) ignition to the ey-v(unlimited) ignition coil...similar to the 064/066...if you use the 1122-1314 coil, it would be considered unlimited so i changed the flywheel to the slot marked "B"...the cdic coils ran on the "P" slot. the change from the cdic to ey-v happened somewhere around 1995. check your serial number. if its after 131237198 it already has the ey-v coil and you can rock and roll...if its before you'll need to check your flywheel, hopefully you have two keyways. I'm not sure when they changed from the trigger style to the cdic though...if you had the trigger style you might not have a two way slot....someone that knows more than me would have to chime in on that one....heres a little more info...if your 084 coil is part number 1124 400 1306 it is the cdic...if its 1124 400 1308 is the unlimited. if you do end up making a strap id be interested in seeing what you come up with!!!

I planned to send pics of what was done for everyone's reference. I'll check the numbers. However, I didn't think it had a trigger so....

This thread fascinates me because I have an 084 sitting on the floor. It starts and runs, but it will not slow down to idle. I rebuilt the engine and it has spectacular compression. But, for some reason, the idle will not drop down to below 4000 RPM regardless of idle setting or low-speed carb setting. Other than that, the saw is a beast.

What's the easiest fix?

On a more serious note: I had an 075 that idled really fast like that. Turned out to be leaky crank seals. My mechanic figured it out by letting the saw run and spraying something out of a can that was getting sucked in through the seals and would change the saw's idle speed. Carb cleaner or something maybe?

Well if you guys can't get em figured out might as well send em my way ;). At least they'll have company then lol

I have done it recently with the 1122 400 1314 coil. I was lucky and had the flywheel with two key slots. The old 084 coil was the rev limited cdic coil. I moved the flywheel to the correct slot and it worked great....however I could only get one mounting hole to line up. The owner of the 084 still is undecided if that's how he wants to run it so the saw is still sitting in my basement.

Is moving the flywheel a necessary part of the procedure? My mechanic put the coil on but said that the timing seemed to be wrong. However, he did say it appeared that my flywheel had another slot.

I assumed it was when I did it...just going off of what I know about the 064 ignitions the unlimited coil needs a different slot. Pull the flywheel and see what slot it's in. If using the 1122-1314 coil from the 660 I'd run it in the "b" slot. The one I worked on seemed to work fine with that set up.

Well, it apparently wouldn't start in the original position so I am hoping changing it will fix the problem. Thanks!

here is my 084 coil it came off an 066, I remember reading about it in the old forum, probably cant find that info due to the getting hacked about 9 months ago.

Attachments

• WP_20140719_06_38_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140719_06_38_02_Pro.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 171
So I got the saw back a couple of days ago. It's running like a top with the 066 coil and having changed the position of the flywheel. I did note that some of my flywheel teeth are missing, so if anyone has a 2-slot flywheel they are desperate to get rid of....

My mechanic (who charged me $50 for labor - lives way out in the country and has a sign tiny sign that says "small engine repair" but seems to really know what he's doing) said that he put a strap of some sort on it to mount the other bolt - only one would line up - and that I could easily take a picture of it by removing the flywheel cover (which I had kind of figured but was glad to have confirmation on). I'll do that soon and post it for everyone's edification/input.

Funny story: when I asked how much it would be he replied, "I don't know - how much do I have to charge you to never bring this thing back? I pulled a muscle trying to start it." ;)

So is it unlimited rpm now?

That's a question for someone with more knowledge than I have.... I know that it wouldn't run on the other notch (the one set for the original coil) because the timing wasn't right. Now it runs great.

I guess I need a tach....?

Yea I need a tach also. Im going to try a 066 coil on one of my 084 saws to see if it unlimits the rpms.

What's the easiest fix?
I would suspect a leaking crankcase seal

I might have one of thes give me the number right off the coil. I forget if they had an external trigger (not under flywheel) Anyway I got a box of parts send me a number.

I need one as well. Part# 2 204 222 this one is a bosch part. Dont know if that was original or not. Thanks

I'm also in need of an ignition coil for an 084. The part number is 2 204 222 114? This seems to be a different part number than the ones I see listed in other posts....Any input or suggestions on where to pick one up & why the numbers might be different?Thanks

Latest posts

Back