Stihl 084 Brake when milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt2hunt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Should I remove the brake handle for milling? I think I just burned up the plastic gears because it engaged and I didn't figure it out. I am going to assume I bumped the handle and it didn't engage some other way.

Remove handle?
What about the lever and spring inside?
What about the band around the drum cover?

Thanks for the help

My take on brake removal is that it depends on saw use and how easy it is to remove.

If a saw is ever likely to be used for non-milling activity I recommend leaving the brake on as the last thing you'll want to be doing is finding and installing the parts when it comes around to non-milling use. Not reinstalling the brake is when an accident is likely to happen.

With my BIL mill, the mill is bolted to the bar bolts so there is no inboard clamp and unless wheels are used the logs typically makes contact with the front of the oil tank. If the power head is seesawed there is a chance the brake handle could contact the log and activate the brake during use so I planned to remove the brake from day one.
I then realised the original clutch/sprocket cover (which also contains the brake) wouldn't fit over the bar bolts so I made a modified cover.
If I want to use the 076 for non-milling work, because of the brake design, reinstalling the original sprocket cover immediately reinstalls the brake.

The 880 has s longer body than the 076 so it sits a little further back in the BIL mill than the 076. This reduces the chance the brake will be activated and as it doesn't get in the way and the reinstallation process is a nit more complicated I just left it there. I have accidentally triggered the brake a couple of times but that has not been a drama

On the 441 which I use on my small alaskan I leave the brake on because it also gets used a fair bit as a bucking saw. The small alaskan bolts to the bar so the brake doesn't get in the way.

Back