Stihl 088 Ignition Timing Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just some speculation on my part,
but I'll guess that the mouse is even more rev limited than the saws.

also sorta gums up that balance thingy too!

(aint nary a one of 'em survived a ride in that blower, at low speed no less)

just some speculation on my part,
but I'll guess that the mouse is even more rev limited than the saws.

also sorta gums up that balance thingy too!

(aint nary a one of 'em survived a ride in that blower, at low speed no less)

Great........now I'm hungry.

Randy will this help you i got it from the stihl manual for a 088

the 084 has 24 to 28 btdc at 8,000

Ignition timing is fixed and is not
adjustable.
Since there is no mechanical wear in
these systems, ignition timing cannot
get out of adjustment. However, an
internal fault in the circuit can alter the
switching point in such a way that a
spark test will still show the system to
be in order although timing is outside
the permissible tolerance. This will
impair engine starting and running
behavior.

I may regret asking this question but.....why does Richard Gears picture show up several times when "gerbil" is searched on Google Images?

Ignition timing :eek:uttahere2:

I may regret asking this question but.....why does Richard Gears picture show up several times when "gerbil" is searched on Google Images?

Ignition timing :eek:uttahere2:

It has to do with JJ's tragic but foreseeable toenail incident. :(

View attachment 284254

Technical info on the 1308 coil.

is the 084 (1308) coil interchangeable with the 088/early 880 models (aluminum muffler models)?

088 uses 1124 400 1309 which i thought was unlimited, then sthil went with the 11240 400 1301 on the 880 which we know for a fact is limited. both of these uses the same flywheel.

is the 084 (1308) coil interchangeable with the 088/early 880 models (aluminum muffler models)?

088 uses 1124 400 1309 which i thought was unlimited, then sthil went with the 11240 400 1301 on the 880 which we know for a fact is limited. both of these uses the same flywheel.

Yeah I had it mixed up. The 1309 coil I *believe* is unlimited. I know the 1308 works with the 088 because I put two together. I don't know anything about 880 ignition.

:popcorn:

Have ideas about rev limiter ignitions, now moreso with the tidbit in the service sheet stating 'keep the coil gapped correctly or the rev limit won't be reached'.....it must be an analog votage being generated tht shuts the coil drive down momentarily at the limit...

send to me if it needs an autopsy. I like solving ignition problems and puzzles.

NON chainsaw related link removed..... Just pix of my garage/shop/tools-sorry

My donated homelite 330 cuts real well for having a "dead ignition" :msp_wink:

Last edited:
Yeah I had it mixed up. The 1309 coil I *believe* is unlimited. I know the 1308 works with the 088 because I put two together. I don't know anything about 880 ignition.

the unlimited coil that went on my 880 when randy ported it was a 1309, the one that came off of the saw is 1301A and is definately limited..

Have ideas about rev limiter ignitions, now moreso with the tidbit in the service sheet stating 'keep the coil gapped correctly or the rev limit won't be reached'.....it must be an analog votage being generated tht shuts the coil drive down momentarily at the limit...

send to me if it needs an autopsy. I like solving ignition problems and puzzles.
Atlantic Green Technical Services - Norton, BSA, Lotus, Ducati, Drouin, Dunstall, Agts, Rita, British Motorcycles

I'm trying the get Stihl to make good on the coil........after all.....it seems to be a common issue with this coil. If they will not......I'll do just that.

I'm trying the get Stihl to make good on the coil........after all.....it seems to be a common issue with this coil. If they will not......I'll do just that.

Common issue????......I've never had that problem with any of the 084, 088, 880 coils Randy. Not sure if Stihl will warrenty the coil, but it's worth a try. If not, I might have one that came off a new saw.

Common issue????......I've never had that problem with any of the 084, 088, 880 coils Randy. Not sure if Stihl will warrenty the coil, but it's worth a try. If not, I might have one that came off a new saw.

Well crap......if you ain't buying the "common issue" theory Stihl won't either. :laugh:

I've got a new one coming for it anyway Big D.

Randy, I think there are 4 diff part numbers for 088 coils. Could you you have a coil/flywheel miss match ? Results will be interesting. How in the hell can you carry a 088 with them legs much less start one ??? Ken

I've seen a piston like that before....

DSC02049_zps7c860189.jpg

I was told it was moisture while sitting. I thought it was 'pinging' due to being lean causing the lean sieze. This was on a 3120 that is now owned by the 'SawDr'

NON chainsaw related link removed..... Just pix of my garage/shop/tools-sorry

Interesting. It likely is something like that, but I wonder what the signal is initially derived from? As an analog circuit designer that kind of thing interests me. No doubt they'll want it to be cheap and it does not have to be super accurate. I would probably try to create a fixed-width pulse off the ignition trigger and then rectify and average that. Then you could threshold detect and use that to shut off the spark. Then again, how you limit the ignition is probably important, and I don't know how they do that. Progressively skipping ignition pulses would seem to be the gentilest way, but I don't know what they do.

Back