• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl 090 6 shoe clutches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The needle beating allows the Oregon clutch ,
drum to spin free when idling. the crank is tapered, so the splith adaptor only slides on so far. the clutch turns all the time with the Spleith adaptor and the little round shim fits inside the clutch bore and presses the splith tight on its taper so it can't slip. The large Washer fits perfectly and the nut is not recessed inside the large Washer. It goes together just as it is laid out and works great.

The needle beating allows the Oregon clutch ,
drum to spin free when idling. the crank is tapered, so the splith adaptor only slides on so far. the clutch turns all the time with the Spleith adaptor and the little round shim fits inside the clutch bore and presses the splith tight on its taper so it can't slip. The large Washer fits perfectly and the nut is not recessed inside the large Washer. It goes together just as it is laid out and works great.

it might work without any issue now but it may give some problems in the long run
especially if you run long bars and im also guessing the clutch will have uneven wear
it could wear more towards the inside part

i sketched the possible scenario that could happen if the adaptor sleeve doesnt align
right

Attachments

• 2017-04-13 20.15.50.jpg
    2017-04-13 20.15.50.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • 2017-04-13 20.16.20.jpg
    2017-04-13 20.16.20.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
it might work without any issue now but it may give some problems in the long run
especially if you run long bars and im also guessing the clutch will have uneven wear
it could wear more towards the inside part

i sketched the possible scenario that could happen if the adaptor sleeve doesnt align
right
Robin, thank you for taking the time to make the drawings. There are a couple things I do not understand, I will pull the clutch off and change the set-up if I understand what I did wrong. My question is (going by memory) the spleith adaptor is held tightly to the crank by a taper fit. If I put a washer (special large flat washer) between the spleith adaptor and the clutch drum, then to remove the clutch drum, the spleith adaptor would have to come off with the washer and clutch drum each time I want to change the chain pitch. Obviously something about my understanding is wrong or they would have not included the flat washer in the drawings. If I remember correctly, that is why I didn't include it. Maybe I will pull this apart tonight and have another look at it.
Thanks very much-Joe

I do not have a 070 here right now. I assume the Conta is the same. I guess I could take look at both a Contra and a 090 and see what there is there.

On a side not anyone need a 090 clutch?

dont get me wrong and i dont want to sound like a ****, if you fix that way i think the adaptor
sleeve wont center inside the clutch carrier and it wont torque right. which in turn will let
either the clutch carrier slip on the adaptor sleeve or the adaptor sleeve slip on the crankshaft

does the end nut goes in fully or does it stick out ?

not sure if you guys are following me but i think theres only 1 way to get it right,
following the ipl
dont get me wrong and i dont want to sound like a ****, if you fix that way i think the adaptor
sleeve wont center inside the clutch carrier and it wont torque right. which in turn will let
either the clutch carrier slip on the adaptor sleeve or the adaptor sleeve slip on the crankshaft

does the end nut goes in fully or does it stick out ?

not sure if you guys are following me but i think theres only 1 way to get it right,
following the ipl
Robin-i wanted to let you know that I disassembled a clutch that was properly assembled. I understand what you were saying and I put my clutch together properly. there were some wrong parts in my original clutch that had me confused. the Spleith adaptor now slides on the crank smoothly. thanks for the help and for letting me know I was wrong.

Back