Stihl 090 Barn find gone wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitty21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found this on Kijiji for $125 canadian so a snagged it up no question. I knew it was seized and missing the recoil.

Got it home and finally remembered to take some before pics, thankfully...
20170223_191220.jpg 20170223_191302.jpg 20170223_191309.jpg 20170223_191321.jpg 20170223_191329.jpg 20170223_191337.jpg 20170223_191348.jpg

Then things get interesting,
Look down the spark plug hole, no piston, interesting...
So i pull the top end to find this land of unholiness... also, no rod? is that even possible :dumb2:
20170223_210502.jpg
Looking down the cylinder, a couple chunks in the plating, as well as large portions op plating chipped away
20170223_210511.jpg 20170223_210516.jpg
Needless to say I think this thing may be a lost cause. I cleaned out whatever the hell was in the bottom end as best as I could and have it soaking in oil to see if I can free it up.

On the bright side the 50" cannon bar seems to be in good shape. A little CLR and some cleaning and it should be good to go

Found this on Kijiji for $125 canadian so a snagged it up no question. I knew it was seized and missing the recoil.

Got it home and finally remembered to take some before pics, thankfully...
View attachment 560217 View attachment 560218 View attachment 560219 View attachment 560221 View attachment 560222 View attachment 560223 View attachment 560224

Then things get interesting,
Look down the spark plug hole, no piston, interesting...
So i pull the top end to find this land of unholiness... also, no rod? is that even possible :dumb2:
View attachment 560225
Looking down the cylinder, a couple chunks in the plating, as well as large portions op plating chipped away
View attachment 560226 View attachment 560227
Needless to say I think this thing may be a lost cause. I cleaned out whatever the hell was in the bottom end as best as I could and have it soaking in oil to see if I can free it up.

On the bright side the 48" canon bar seems to be in good shape. A little CLR and some cleaning and it should be good to go
The bar is prolly worth more than you spent, if I did not have a 50" already ...... Congrats on a good find!

Thanks guys. I am going to attempt to split it open and see what is going on in there.

Seems like meteor only makes a 58mm kit for this. Not sure about any other aftermarket brands. May have to hunt for some used parts should I decide to attempt to resurrect this thing

As others have said, you did fine on the saw esp with the bar. There are a lot parts available for these still so all is not lost. Pics of the clutch?

I will get some more pics up next week. Heading to the girlfriends for the weekend. Will be back at it monday or tuesday

thoughts? I think it will be clear when enlarged, but I added a red circle where there appears to be a chunk out of the case knocked out. Anyone think it is a big deal?
20170223_210502.jpg

Thanks guys. I am going to attempt to split it open and see what is going on in there.

Seems like meteor only makes a 58mm kit for this. Not sure about any other aftermarket brands. May have to hunt for some used parts should I decide to attempt to resurrect this thing
cease232 posted your cure...................................................and after looking a that pic, you really need to pursue what he posted..........complete rebuild is in order,,and do it right..............have you seen what these sell for on the bay???

As mentioned that little piece isn't going to effect things. You really need to get her opened up though and put a stop to the white death. Or if she's gonna sit for some time fill her crankcase with diesel fuel.
View attachment 560354
maybe, and maybe not..ive seen white death,,that nearly wont stop with anything, except taking it apart,,and glass beading the snot out of it...........then coat it with a premo sealer......

You can still buy 66 mm pistons from Stihl.

I am going to try and find time to make a splitter and open the case this week. If it isn't too bad and I can put a stop to the white death I may just build it. I will look for a used top end though I have my doubts. Definately can't afford to shell out $700 CDN for a new oem. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket kits on these?

Back