Stihl 090 Impulse Purchase + Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
c
So what is meant by the "series"

Think of the series as a family or group of saws in that model /series range .

ie:.... In the 1106 family you have 090,070, Contra/Lightning 106cc. Contra /Lightning S 137cc. Most of the part numbers on these saws start with 1106.

The 1109 series saws are the gear drives, 090G, Contra/Lightning G & GS. The parts that are unique to the gear drives have numbers beginning with 1109.

.......And I'd say your saw is a genuine German built 090, nice score!

I have an AV090 just like that but I think mine is German, however now I will look to make sure. I still like it when I need it regardless. The Chinese have not started copying the AV model yet from what I have seen.

Congrats! that's a sweet 090!..

Here's mine one of the last AV's this one was made in Germany...The little 038 is made in Brazil and personally I don't think made in Brazil means garbage? is a strong little saw and running .404 RS and hard nosed bar with 066 dog's...

c

Think of the series as a family or group of saws in that model /series range .

ie:.... In the 1106 family you have 090,070, Contra/Lightning 106cc. Contra /Lightning S 137cc. Most of the part numbers on these saws start with 1106.

Makes sense. Just checked and the parts do have 1106 in them.

Congrats! that's a sweet 090!..

Here's mine one of the last AV's this one was made in Germany...The little 038 is made in Brazil and personally I don't think made in Brazil means garbage? is a strong little saw and running .404 RS and hard nosed bar with 066 dog's...

Nice! I cannot wait to start cutting with it. Although I am a bit anxious about how much vibration there will be since it is not the AV model.

For the sake of the saws longevity, 25:1 or 32:1 using your favourite two stroke oil.;)

I was thinking 40:1 with high-end synthetic oil would be ok. What do you think? Why do you suggest that ratio?

I will be milling with it, so I could see how more oil would help.

Nice! I cannot wait to start cutting with it. Although I am a bit anxious about how much vibration there will be since it is not the AV model.
Hmm well that's kind of a tricky question but basically if you have any fillings they should rattle loose and fall out! haha....Not a saw for the faint of heart being a non AV model...
As has been said run it at 25:1 or 32:1 with some you beaut synthetic motorcycle oil and the correct turn for whatever mix it is you run, just my 2c..And yeah id say your 090 is more a collectors saw being in such great shape for age...Only thing I don't get looking at your pics is why the screws on the top cowling look like they have been undone a thousand times? nevertheless a saw like this does not popup for sale everyday that's for sure.
I would be surprised if your not getting pm's to take the old good for nothing heap of junk off your hands for cheap haha...

Hmm well that's kind of a tricky question but basically if you have any fillings they should rattle loose and fall out! haha....Not a saw for the faint of heart being a non AV model...
As has been said run it at 25:1 or 32:1 with some you beaut synthetic motorcycle oil and the correct turn for whatever mix it is you run, just my 2c..And yeah id say your 090 is more a collectors saw being in such great shape for age...Only thing I don't get looking at your pics is why the screws on the top cowling look like they have been undone a thousand times? nevertheless a saw like this does not popup for sale everyday that's for sure.
I would be surprised if your not getting pm's to take the old good for nothing heap of junk off your hands for cheap haha...

Depending on how the vibration is, I might set up a rope or motorcycle brake cable to the throttle. Milling with my 041 was just ridiculous with the vibrations, but the 090 already feels like there are less high frequency vibrations.

I guess I should run it at 32:1 with some JASO FD/ISO EGD oil.

I took off the cowling to see if there was anything odd going on and it looks find. I suspect that the screws on the cowling would constantly come loose from the vibrations, so they were tightened 1000 times. What do you think?

Vibes will be bad so if possible purchase AV gloves. The Stihls are very bulky but work ok, the Youngstown from Baileys are much easier to work with and while you can feel the vibes with the saw running, one the saw is off your hands are fine.

I cannot say about milling, but we have made big bucking cuts with an 8' bar on 50:1 running a Baileys 66mm aftermarket topend with no issues. I had also stumped and bucked a bit running 42 & 60 inch bars with it. However now with having other saws that are ported, I run 32:1 as a standard in everything but a 4 mix.

Would anyone have any information on the bars that came with this saw?

First one is a STIHL bar with a WINDSOR nose, which is easy to identify.20150528_181710.jpg

I don't know what model of STIHL bar it is though. I know it's 42" and has this stamped into it:20150528_181949.jpg

The second bar as no makers mark or markings of any kind except for this:20150528_181732.jpg

I am thinking it's a WINDSOR 36" with 0.063" gauge, but I do not know what the lettering means.

Any ideas on both of these?

Back