Stihl 2 in 1 fileing jig.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought a Stihl 2 in 1 file. It is for my Stihl o29 that is using a 3/8 rapid micro chain. If I change the round file, can I use it on a 3/8 picco micro chain? I did see they sold them seperately but I don't know if the frame is good for more than one type of chain. The guy behind the counter didn't think it would ba problem. I would like an answer from someone who at least may have some experience with them. I haven't used it yet.

I don't think it would work. The distance between the cutters is different and the holes for the files would be different sizes. I have both, Ill run out and confirm.

OK... The guide bars that run on top of the cutters would work....

But the smaller diameter file wont. Way to much slop to get a consistent sharpen. But it would work... to what level of satisfaction would be open for debate.

OK... The guide bars that run on top of the cutters would work....

But the smaller diameter file wont. Way to much slop to get a consistent sharpen. But it would work... to what level of satisfaction would be open for debate.
@CaseyForrest I bought the standard 3/8 guide and it also comes in a 3/8P. If I understand what you are saying, you can't put a smaller file in the regular 3/8 jig and have it work correctly. I am using 3/8PM chain on my 192T

I have both.... The smaller diameter file for the 3/8p will fit the guide for 3/8, but obviously the hole in the guide is larger than the file so the file has a fair bit of slop.

You could give it a shot.... You wouldn't be out anything but the cost of a file, unless you already have them.

I have both.... The smaller diameter file for the 3/8p will fit the guide for 3/8, but obviously the hole in the guide is larger than the file so the file has a fair bit of slop.

You could give it a shot.... You wouldn't be out anything but the cost of a file, unless you already have them.
I have both sizes of files and being the cheep guy that I am, I thought it was worth asking a question. It would cost another $42 for the second 2 in 1. I will wait until I see how the first one works before I invest in a second one.

Im sure it will work fine... I tend to be a little OCD about right tool/right job.

I will say this... I can get a sharper chain with the jig then I can with my grinder. I now only use my grinder to fix chains, reset angles and even up the cutters.

Im sure it will work fine... I tend to be a little OCD about right tool/right job.

I will say this... I can get a sharper chain with the jig then I can with my grinder. I now only use my grinder to fix chains, reset angles and even up the cutters.

Just had a look and it will not work, as you said there would be too much slop.

Back