Stihl 251 Parts are Hard to Find but are they the same as the 025 or 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfordkc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a new MS 251 and wanted to replace the sprocket, bar and chain. In looking for parts, I could not find any sites that had the 251 drum/rim option for the 251. Baileys, etc. had nothing listed. I even stopped into my local dealer and asked and after doing some looking he "guessed" that the 250 and 251 would be the same. I left without buying it. I did measure and they are very, very close, so close the difference is probably just the difference between Stihl and the Oregon replacement. I went ahead and bought an Oregon set up for the saw and it seems to run fine, I haven't cut with yet but hope to get out and do that today. If it blows up I'll check back in.

Your Stihl dealer is lazy if you asked them to look it up, and they just said they "guessed" it was the same.
Stihl has parts and technical service manuals in place ahead of the release of new models for their dealer networks.

Cut down a few dozen hedge trees with it and it seems just fine. The Stihl dealer counterman was helpful, but his book didn't show a drum/rim for the 251. And none of the aftermarket sites I've checked have the 251 either but from by measurement and test the 025/250 drum/rim, bar, bearing, and chain all interchange.

I was able to use the original bar/chain from a 251 on my 025. No issues. Doesn't look like much else interchanges other than what was stated.

Thanks for posting this- I was just thinking about ordering the parts to convert my 251 over to rim drive!

I have a new MS 251 and wanted to replace the sprocket, bar and chain. In looking for parts, I could not find any sites that had the 251 drum/rim option for the 251..

The Stihl dealers do not sell parts on line. The Stihl mini spline drum gets you a choice of 7 tooth 0.325 or 7 tooth 3/8 picco. I suspect the part numbers are in the manual for that. Oregon or aftermarket have a standard spline that will run a 7 tooth 3/8 sprocket for the full size 3/8 chain that is not designed for the smaller picco class 3/8. In 0.325 there are 7 and 8 tooth, In 1/4 9 tooth is easy to find. Which would you prefer. I only got the Oregon kit, it comes with a 7 tooth .325 drum to play with 1/4.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...-Rim-Drum-for-Stihl-023-025-MS-230-MS-250.axd is this what you could not find at Baileys?

As to the question in the title, at the beginning of the 251 the rim drive kit was the same as the 250 but a new part number was created later on. Just from reading on here, the Oregon kit was not stated as 251 compatible but I use it. If you use 0.325 chain and the Stihl mini spline the GB sprockets are not radially ported instead have cut outs on one side to clear chips.

Your Stihl dealer is lazy if you asked them to look it up, and they just said they "guessed" it was the same.
Stihl has parts and technical service manuals in place ahead of the release of new models for their dealer networks.
The 251 ipl at least a couple of years ago had some missing stuff as I recall. Now just look at the 241 sheet.

The 251 ipl at least a couple of years ago had some missing stuff as I recall. "Stihl dropped the ball on the ipl" was stated on here in the past. There probably is a work around technique not done that could earn a counter person the lazy definition, but perhaps they did not have training.

What was/is missing?

The Stihl dealers do not sell parts on line. The Stihl mini spline drum gets you a choice of 7 tooth 0.325 or 7 tooth 3/8 picco. I suspect the part numbers are in the manual for that. Oregon or aftermarket have a standard spline that will run a 7 tooth 3/8 sprocket for the full size 3/8 chain that is not designed for the smaller picco class 3/8. In 0.325 there are 7 and 8 tooth, In 1/4 9 tooth is easy to find. Which would you prefer. I only got the Oregon kit, it comes with a 7 tooth .325 drum to play with 1/4.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...-Rim-Drum-for-Stihl-023-025-MS-230-MS-250.axd is this what you could not find at Baileys?

As to the question in the title, at the beginning of the 251 the rim drive kit was the same as the 250 but a new part number was created later on. Just from reading on here, the Oregon kit was not stated as 251 compatible but I use it. If you use 0.325 chain and the Stihl mini spline the GB sprockets are not radially ported instead have cut outs on one side to clear chips.

Franny K: I did find that reference on line, and many like it. But that ad, and all others, includes the 025/250 but does not include the MS251. And the 251 is not mentioned so my assumption was they were different. Baileys might want to include the 251 in the ad. I ended up with this Oregon kit and its the one that use on my 025. as I use the .325/.063 chain set up.

So is that oregon kit from Bailey's setup for .325 .063? It says nothing about that on their site.

So is that oregon kit from Bailey's setup for .325 .063? It says nothing about that on their site.
The Bailey link is to the drum and the description says you need to order the rim to match your needs. I bought it from a local place and it came with the 325/7 rim. The Balley's question and answer section specifically says this drum does not fit the 241 or the 251 and they say you need OEM. But we've disproven that. The Bailieys site also says that the drum/rim aren't matched to the gauge. I'm not smart enough or concerned enough to figure out what that means. I just know I run a .063 chain with this drum and a 325/7 rim.

Back