Stihl 271 Oil Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dws_az

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

A friend has a Stihl 271 Farm Boss with a strange oiling issue.

In brief, as you can see in the attached pic's there is plenty of oil coming out of the oil pump outlet. However, very little is getting onto the bar/chain and the chain is basically running dry.

The bar inlet holes and bar chain/channel are very clean.

After reading a couple of other threads I wonder if there is a oil pump outlet and bar inlet alignment problem. Please note this is the original bar (20 inch bar) that they got with the saw brand new. I've flipped the bar and the same problem.

Any thoughts, aside from buying another bar and trying it ?

Fortunately, it looks like the pump is pumping just fine.

pic2.jpeg pic1.jpeg

Attachments

• pic3.jpeg
    pic3.jpeg
    691.8 KB · Views: 22
The bar and rails are clean.

I ran a brush down the rails and hit it with an air compressor. As can be seen in the pic's, oil is coming out of the oiler and flowing down the side of the case.

I'll have to wait until later today to post pic's of the bar and bar info. The bar info, is a good idea to ensure it's the correct bar.

Also, as HarleyT suggested, I'll run it without the bar to confirm oil flow.

I have a crazy idea. Maybe, if I follow the manufacturer's instructions for the type and quantity of oil they recommend, I may just avoid blowing up my machine? No? Well, thought it was worth a shot.

Some of us seem convinced we can try various and sundry oils and if our saw survives we're like, "Hey, this stuff is great!" What are the odds the second go round, the saw will melt? You know? IOW, is experimenting with different oils a wise method to decide on an oil to use? I have no doubt if I did that, I would destroy about 6,000 saws to find the brand and ratio of the one oil I like. (Talking to the burned up blob of crap, "O shucks. Didn't like 'abcd', did ya? You ruined, burnt piece of junk!)

Back