Stihl 290 awesome beast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troll wants to say that an 18 inch bar wood be best on the 361. My 361 came with an 18 inch bar, but it is too small IMO. I rarely run it with that bar any more. I LOVE running it with the 24 inch bar! BTW, on topic here, the 290 ususally has a 20 inch bar. Sucky boat anchor that it is! As it is not the favorite Troll Saw, I assume he would want to see a 16 inch bar on it. I do have one that size for it now... have to find some small trees to use it on.

West coast long bar disease... WCLBD... :notrolls2: :hmm3grin2orange:

That was not what I :censored: :taped: :taped: :taped: 'ed about....

Last edited:
I went today to buy a new chainsaw.I had my choices narrowed down to a 290 or 460 Stihl.My dealer told me that basically they were the same saw,just the 460 was bigger and would handle the longer bar.He told me the 290 would actually outcut the larger and heavier 460 in seasoned red oak,while the 460 would outcut the 290 in seasoned white oak.Since most of my cutting is seasoned red oak I opted for the 290.MANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is one cutting SOB!!!!!!!!!!Im truly impressed with the blazing chain speed and extremely light weight of this saw.The anti vibration system is truly top notch while the plastic engine housing is indestructable.I asked my dealer,and he said that no one anywhere in the entire world has ever stripped out a screw while bolting the starter housing back on .My opinions on this saw? Just plain awesome.Compared to my ### kickin Super 2 Homelite,you cant beat this beast.Sure,I could have spent an extra $400 and got a saw that would have been heavier and slower cutting in red oak.The long 18" bar of the 460 was tempting,but really was unnecessary since most of my cutting is in medium sized timber,mostly 4-6 inches.Id love to hear any comments on this monster they call the 290,please share your thoughts and input

Wow, if you wanted to save some money and like a lighter saw, you should of picked up a 350 or 351. They are 3 pounds lighter and run an 18'' bar and will run out cut the 290 any day of the week. A 290 has .325 chain on it the 460 and the 455 have 3/8. My old 55R will cut with the 290. I changed the sprocket to a .325 and its smokes a 290. I have 10 Husq. 5 stihl and 7 other saws. I like the 440 mags and the 660mags but husq will smoke stihl saw for saw..Stihl is a good saw I just bought a new 660, but my 8 year old pawn shop 385 Eats it up. And my new 372 is close and 3 lbs lighter... Don't know where you are from that you think and 18'' bar is big?

Five years! For almost five whole years this was dead. :bang:

On the bright side, it is another opportunity to bash the 290. :msp_biggrin:

I have 4 stihls, 170 set up to carve. 440mag and 2-660s one new one 6 years old. I had a 017 and a 290. My buddy has 2-290 I gave mine to him. Its a good saw , but its heavy. I love the feel of the 440, but a 372 will smoke it. I like my 660, it does have torque, raw power. I like using it better than my 385 but it wont out cut it. The 440 and 660 are loud and cut. If you cut with a Husq. its faster and smother but does not fell like its doing what the stihl is. But it is, I have had 20-30 show up in my driveway to prove me wrong. One 660 beat my 385, he said he had and dual port muffler and a 100cc rebuild. But my new 395 beat it hands down. All my saws are stock, except for a dual port on my old 660. My picks for best saw would be the 350/351 husq or the 265 special or 372.. Those saws out cut any saw any where...

Back