Stihl 291 is no longer FARM BOSS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know it says Stihl on it so it must be good and it must be worth what they are asking. I just found it interesting that they upped the price of the 291 so much that they decided to start calling the 271 a Farm Boss so that the price point was the same. You ask a guy what saw he has and all he can tell you is a Stihl Farm Boss

I suppose they'll brand the 291 "Classic" and justify the price. That's fine, it increases the value of my 290 that will be for sale as soon as I replace the fuel line. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most guys are running echos here anymore stihl makes good equipment but there price doesn't reflect quality
over priced junk is what i hear. the new 391 is close to 700$ your better off buying 562 or 365 at that price
or even a 590 or 620.

What store sells echo?

Here you buy Stihl at a few local dealers or cheap Husqvarna at Lowes.
Mail order is $$$. Even Parcel Post which takes 2-3 weeks (yeah the shipping they claim 5-7 days.. ahaha!) Is $40 for a saw.

I tried to tell all that sort of stuff to a guy I volunteer with. All he knew: chansaw = Stihl. So, he got a 271, and it's now tossed its chain, with some collateral damage, a couple of times. The plastic "structure" between bar and engine is pretty elastic. Who'd a thunk it?

He's now more receptive to the idea of Echo, Dolmar, Husqy, Jonsered, PoulanPro etc. Saws you're not dependent on dealer for much, and that carry much longer warranty besides.

In the meanwhile I repaired his 029 that died, and he was replacing. Dealer said "no can do." Stihl dealers want $120 for ignition module; I found him one for $20 delivered from KS. Still a SOB to R&R with all the crappy plastic bits.

Even though it's not his money, he can still get much better yield.

What store sells echo?

Mail order is $$$. Even Parcel Post which takes 2-3 weeks (yeah the shipping they claim 5-7 days.. ahaha!) Is $40 for a saw.
the few things i have shipped to AK werent bad on price but they did take awhile. probably really depends on where in AK you are shipping to/from

I know at $500 for a 291 w/20" bar there are tons of better choices. I was in shock at the local dealer when i saw $499 on a 291 then a couple days later their sale flyer showed up in the mail where i was treated to the rebadged Farm Boss. With the new prices Stihl is leaving lots of room for other companies to come in and take away their sales. Even die hard stihl guys are starting to look at other brands.

Is that listed weight for the 291 correct? Almost 17 pounds?!?
It doesn't specify pho or ready to cut but still, that's a heavy piece of plastic!
POWERHEAD WEIGHT 5.6 kg (12.3 Ibs.) copy and pasted from the Stihl site.
16.9 lbs must be for bar and chain included.

Is that listed weight for the 291 correct? Almost 17 pounds?!?
It doesn't specify pho or ready to cut but still, that's a heavy piece of plastic!
Stihl publishes PHO at 12.3 pounds, which is .5 pounds lighter than my MS361C-M. The MS311 is the closest Farm & Ranch saw to the MS362 C-m, and it weighs 13.7 pounds. The Stihl Farm & Ranch line gets a lot of bad comments around here, but they are good saws. No doubt if I was replacing my MS290 I would be going for the Echo CS590.

What store sells echo?

Home Depot carries Echo, but at the closest one to me the largest saw is the CS400. Ford F150 or WSE could make you a sweet deal I'm sure.

the few things i have shipped to AK werent bad on price but they did take awhile. probably really depends on where in AK you are shipping to/from

I live in an easy place for shipping. Out in the bush it's even worse. But still often when dealing with mail order, may as well ask for it to be shipped to Albania instead of Alaska cause they'll react just the same and it'll be about the same price.

Had some parts (3lbs) shipped from Iowa and the shipping was $70 with UPS.

I would say of the saws that come in for repair, 70% of them are Husqvarna. Stihls aren't too common, maybe 2 or 3 a month. (The other 30% are Homelite, Poulan, McCulloch, No Husqvarna dealers here anymore since the box store shut that down. The box store doesn't do any service unlike a Stihl dealer.

Home Depot carries Echo, but at the closest one to me the largest saw is the CS400. Ford F150 or WSE could make you a sweet deal I'm sure.

Not really looking for a saw, just curious mostly. We are an Efco dealer, but I don't own any. I just have Stihls.

Back