Stihl 291 is no longer FARM BOSS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I bought my MS362C-M, I looked hard at the Echo CS620P, but I got a good deal on the Stihl, and I don't think I made a bad choice. I think once you get past the Ford/Chevy/Dodge aspect, all the major brands make good product, and you have to make a decision based on your local dealer support as well.

That is true. For some people dealer support is important but in some cases a dealer 3 states away can treat you just as good and get you parts faster than your local dealer. Look at Terry and Bob as an example of what good husky/jonsered dealers can do even when they are half way across the country

That is true. For some people dealer support is important but in some cases a dealer 3 states away can treat you just as good and get you parts faster than your local dealer. Look at Terry and Bob as an example of what good husky/jonsered dealers can do even when they are half way across the country
I agree 100%. I was thinking more about warranty support. The price of shipping a saw around adds up quickly. That said, The only piece of small engine equipment I have owned since 1969 that needed warranty support is my Honda mower.

What store sells echo?

Here you buy Stihl at a few local dealers or cheap Husqvarna at Lowes.
Mail order is $$$. Even Parcel Post which takes 2-3 weeks (yeah the shipping they claim 5-7 days.. ahaha!) Is $40 for a saw.

Home depot sells echo, and if it isn't in stock I *think* it is free order to the store.

Just checked, yes it is. You should be able to get any echo saw sold in the US.

Don't get m started on the stihl evaporative cage syndrome on the ms311.:laugh: yeap a "i suck for buying the piece of junk". That broke me from the non pro stihls.actually the 441 broke me from the pro stihls.:laugh:

Don't get m started on the stihl evaporative cage syndrome on the ms311.:laugh: yeap a "i suck for buying the piece of junk". That broke me from the non pro stihls.actually the 441 broke me from the pro stihls.:laugh:
sounds like you need to buy a pp5020av poulan
50cc 20'' with case for 199.99 i got one 3 yrs ago it still runs fine have not killed it yet.
and it uses a K095 husky mount so you can put any bar you want on it. it has a exxon valdez oiler on it.

Stihl's not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. I have posts from over a year ago that the said the MS271 was intended to be the replacement for the 290 Farm Boss. Yes, it's listed at less HP, but in practical use I have found the 271 to keep right up with a 290. The 291 will outrun a 290. For the VAST amount of chainsaw users, a 271 is all they need. I sell a ton of them and customers are very happy with them.

The Farm Boss moniker has covered several saws..and I imagine that if the internet were in existence back when the 041 Farm Boss or the 038 Farm Boss disappeared you would have heard a far louder cry of disgust.

sounds like you need to buy a pp5020av poulan
50cc 20'' with case for 199.99 i got one 3 yrs ago it still runs fine have not killed it yet.
and it uses a K095 husky mount so you can put any bar you want on it. it has a exxon valdez oiler on it.
Actually i have been looking at those.

im going to drive to my husky dealer and snag a NIB 359 for 425.00 that is tax and everything.
been under the sales counter under lock and key for quite a few years.

Stihl's not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. I have posts from over a year ago that the said the MS271 was intended to be the replacement for the 290 Farm Boss. Yes, it's listed at less HP, but in practical use I have found the 271 to keep right up with a 290. The 291 will outrun a 290. For the VAST amount of chainsaw users, a 271 is all they need. I sell a ton of them and customers are very happy with them.

The Farm Boss moniker has covered several saws..and I imagine that if the internet were in existence back when the 041 Farm Boss or the 038 Farm Boss disappeared you would have heard a far louder cry of disgust.
agreed, the 291 is a good saw and runs very well. as you stated the farm boss/wood boss decals have been on many different saws. we sell a ton of 251/271/291 saws. if used as intended, they hold up very well. i do agree, the 590 echo is an excellent saw for 400.00. and guys one thing to remember here guys, everything in this country is overpriced, food,cars, FARM EQUIPMENT!!!!!

i'll tell you what us redneck engineers do with old 290 and 390 stihls that dont run is this
drain all the fluids remove the bar/chain. fill both oil and gas tank with melted lead from old wheel weights.
weld a chain around the handle and walla instant boat anchor for use on the water this summer and it weights close to 40 lbs.

I'm sure they are good saws but come on...$500 for 56cc plastic saw? That same money or just a few dollars more will get you a 6100, 6400, 590, 600, 2252, 2253, 2258 all of which are much better built saws and most have more power. Even in Stihl's own lineup the 261 is only $100 more which makes no sense to me. Maybe we should be on the lookout for a price increase on the 261/362 especially since the 241 is only $50 les than a 261 and the 441 is $300 more than a 362. Looks to me based on pricing of other models that the 261 could go up to around $700 and the 362 could be pushed up to $800-825 range

I'm sure they are good saws but come on...$500 for 56cc plastic saw? That same money or just a few dollars more will get you a 6100, 6400, 590, 600, 2252, 2253, 2258 all of which are much better built saws and most have more power. Even in Stihl's own lineup the 261 is only $100 more which makes no sense to me. Maybe we should be on the lookout for a price increase on the 261/362 especially since the 241 is only $50 les than a 261 and the 441 is $300 more than a 362. Looks to me based on pricing of other models that the 261 could go up to around $700 and the 362 could be pushed up to $800-825 range
Not disagreeing with you at all, they are expensive. but in the end, they still sell way more OPE than anyone else. people know if they want a stihl, it will cost a little more, and that is the way it is. we have zero issues with the "plastic" saws. they are built very well. truth be told, they will probably stand up to impact better than a mag case saw. stihl has some huge national tree service accounts. they buy a ton of pro saws, but they buy the 193/251/271/291 @ 3:1 for every pro saw they buy. that should tell you something.

The national tree services around me no longer buy the plastic saws...they won't hold up. They now buy 261/362/201T and one has even switched to husky just last year

Stihl has cleaverly engineered a vast range of ope and been in the game a while. l'd guess they are the only brand that can make both saws and the bar to go with it. They also understand the ope market and service it better than pretty much all the other brands. l am not standing up for their high prices on homeowner gear but i'd bet stihl would make more profit per unit than any make. What l am getting at is they have worked really hard to produce good quality stuff out of china that people are prepared to pay a premium for many number of reasons.

Back