Stihl 361...to buy or not!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an old timer tell me once that it doesn't cost that much more to go first class. You've got a great saw that will last you a life time. I don't think you will ever be sorry.

I just ran a 361 for the first time and was not impressed. Why you ask? The more I cut the looser the chain got-- I just figured any chainsaw that can cure cancer should have a self tightening chain.

Actually, I've decided to pool my resources and purchase a number of pre-ban (pre 2010) 361's. Would rather have a bunch of pristine 361s than a bunch of worthless stock certificates. Rave on

Another vote for the 361 I love mine couldnt have made a better choice. Keep the chain sharp and they are very rewarding.

Edit: Well I seen you got the 361 congrats!

Congrats on the new saw!

You just made a lifetime investment!

Keep the chain sharp, filters clean, fresh gas & good mix oil and welcome to Club 361 :cheers:

Spek,

For what you are describing you don't NEED a 361.

If you WANT a 361 buy it!

If you want to buy what you NEED, a 290 will serve you well.

There is another alternative.....

Take $100.00 Buy it up in hamburger, hot dogs, cokes and buns. Host a GTG and these guys will come down, cut your trees, buck 'em up and pile them out of the way.

You'll have a host of new friends, money in your pocket, no expensive piece of machinery to maintain and your new neighbors will never cross a guy with that many weirdos for friends.

Mike

:clap::clap::clap:

congrats Spek. did your wife seem unusually pleased with your performance last night??? must be the 361..........stick around and you will own a saw for every tree on your place......where do you live in AL?

Good job Spek.:clap::clap::clap: Your going to be real happy with your purchase. If it came with a green chain use that for the first 10 to 12 tanks of fuel. After that go get a loop of RSC and see what that saw really can do. And don't forget your PPE. :givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

congrats Spek. did your wife seem unusually pleased with your performance last night??? must be the 361..........stick around and you will own a saw for every tree on your place......where do you live in AL?

HEHE! :censored:

The new place is in North Baldwin County, Al

The other saws would work for what you need it for - but if you have a chance to grab a 361 do it. Its a great saw for the power and weight ratio!

I have a local stihl dealer where I am moving. Small town. I will be cutting 30 or so pines while clearing and then just maintaining 10 acreas or so from fallen trees.

The decision between a homeowner saw (the stihl 310) vs the Professional series (Stihl 361) is killinh me.

Bottom line is I can get the 361 out the door $635.00 and a case for 35 bucks.

The 310 (which is not in stock anymore) will run $450.50 out the door plus 40 bucks for the case (different dealer prices). or the 290 for $395.88

HELP ME DECIDE...... local guy where I am moving with the 361......or local guy where I am now with the 290 or 310. Or forget Stihl and go with husky

Buy, the 361 and don't look back!!

i would recomend the 270 280 361, i have 310 and it is pic literaly bulky and heavy.

how big are the 30 trees. saw might see hard use for 30 trees.

theres quite a few husky 359s on ebay right now. theyr worth checkn into specialy for 250-300 bucks.

Thanks everyone for the advice and input-----------Here's an update. I went out to buy a saw today and the local dealer where I am moving had sold the 310 that I could have got at the above price.. I was getting the 310 discounted because he already sold his last 290. The next closest dealer was $469.99 for the 310,$369.99 for the 290, and $609.99 for the 361 none would budge...no deals...no free cases( the wanted 49.99 for them!!!!).

SOOOOOO...I really wanted to support the local dealer, and as luck would have it about all he had left was a 390 and a 361. I left with the 361.

We settled on $600.00 and 35 bucks for the case. They filled it up for me, threw in a jug of Stihl bar oil, 6 bottles of 2 gal Stihl oil mix and a gas can. Got a wedge and a file ...so out the door under $700. :jawdrop:

BUT........................MAN IT CUTS GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Sorry spoke out of turn. I didn't realize you had already bought the 361. Anyway you won't regret it Promise!

Latest posts

Back