• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stihl 361 vs. 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimfound

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've decided its time to cowbow up and get a new chainsaw. Not to pile on the many threads here already on this topic, but I do value the opinions here and look to this site as a great resource.

I don't see a tremendous difference between the Stihl 361 and 390....the 361 has a bit more power and weighs a bit less. However, the 390 is roughly $100 cheaper. If anyone has opinion on the advantages of either vs. the cost, I would much like to hear what you have to say. Thanks folks.

Here are the specs on both.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS361.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS390.html

I'll bite.

If your heart is set on one of those two saws, my next question would be: How much wood are you planning to cut with the new saw? Lots of wood; 361. Just a couple of cords per year; 390.

Weight and anti-vibe make a "ton" of difference when running a saw for 4 hours or more in a day.

Last edited:
If you are new to chainsaws, tend to not file your chain after every fillup, get the chain in the dirt once in a while, tend to lean hard on your saws, etc. then you should get the 390. It has more torque and more weight than the 361. Its also a throwaway saw, basically you use it for 5-10 years and toss it. If you have ever tried to rebuild one you will know what I mean. Its a PIA to get the jug off a 290 or 390.

The 361 is a thoroughbred compared to the 390, lighter, faster, and more "peaky", meaning basically you let the speed of the engine do all the work. If it ever does burn up, its easier to take apart and replace a piston or rings or whatever.

If you are an experienced woodcutter you will appreciate the differences, but if this is your first major saw purchase you will probably be more than satisfied with the 390.

I'll bite.

If your heart is set on one of those two saws, my next question would be: How much wood are you planning to cut with the new saw? Lots of wood; 361. Just a couple of cords per year; 390.

Weight and anti-vibe make a "ton" of difference when running a saw for 4 hours or more in a day.

If you are new to chainsaws, tend to not file your chain after every fillup, get the chain in the dirt once in a while, tend to lean hard on your saws, etc. then you should get the 390. It has more torque and more weight than the 361. Its also a throwaway saw, basically you use it for 5-10 years and toss it. If you have ever tried to rebuild one you will know what I mean. Its a PIA to get the jug off a 290 or 390.

The 361 is a thoroughbred compared to the 390, lighter, faster, and more "peaky", meaning basically you let the speed of the engine do all the work. If it ever does burn up, its easier to take apart and replace a piston or rings or whatever.

If you are an experienced woodcutter you will appreciate the differences, but if this is your first major saw purchase you will probably be more than satisfied with the 390.

Can't top these posts................says it all!!!

If you have ever tried to rebuild one you will know what I mean. Its a PIA to get the jug off a 290 or 390.

I bought this MS290 (same as a 390) with bad crank bearings for cheap. It was apart in an hour and back together in an hour. Not a big deal at all and I've never done one before. The seals are special to Stihl but the bearings are common and jugs and pistons are cheap. I have to admit that it's not the most favorite saw I own but I wouldn't call it a thow away saw. Not when you can put a jug, piston and bearings in it for around $125.00.

ms290.jpg

jim

I can:

If you are serious, or even think you might be in the future about cutting, spend the $100, otherwise it will cost a lot more to fix a bad purchase.
If you or you're freinds have a pro saw of that size, buy the 361. If they don't, and you don't think you ever will, get the 390. If you are a weekend warrior, or just cutting wood for youre self and not going into production, the 390 is a fine saw. I know tree pros that love it, I loved it until I got ahold of a pro saw the same size, it wasn't fair!
Also, the 390 is like a 5 year saw, the 361 is like the 10 year saw, just some more things to weigh the desicion procces:hmm3grin2orange:

Many thanks for the responses.

I am more of a weekend warrior than not (aka: cubicle-jockey). I don't see why I should settle for a lesser saw given this though. What is swaying me the most right now is the longevity factor. I was in the woods cutting this weekend with my brother in-law, who was using a stihl he bought in 1982.

I was impressed.

BTW thanks to one guy on here from Cumberland MD I (I think) who cued me into the fact that you could acquire a permit to cut firewod on state land. Thats why I was in the woods this weekend. Had a good time. My wife got to hike...the dog got exercise. It was a winner all around.

Do the math. If the 361 costs $100 more and figure that you will have it for at lest 10 years, that's only $10 a year to get a quality lighter saw. And take it from me, lighter is better when you are older.

I can:

If you are serious, or even think you might be in the future about cutting, spend the $100, otherwise it will cost a lot more to fix a bad purchase.
If you or you're freinds have a pro saw of that size, buy the 361. If they don't, and you don't think you ever will, get the 390. If you are a weekend warrior, or just cutting wood for youre self and not going into production, the 390 is a fine saw. I know tree pros that love it, I loved it until I got ahold of a pro saw the same size, it wasn't fair!
Also, the 390 is like a 5 year saw, the 361 is like the 10 year saw, just some more things to weigh the desicion procces:hmm3grin2orange:

I left this wide open for ya........as I know you are much more Saw Savvy than I!!!:D :D :D

I left this wide open for ya........as I know you are much more Saw Savvy than I!!!:D :D :D

And what do I do, but step right in it :monkey:

Sorry Rich,I just try and relate my 390 experiance as best I can. But then a year ago if you would have told me I would own all the saws I do now I would have laughed at you:greenchainsaw:

..have to agree with you this time......:greenchainsaw:

Hey Saw, We'll have to call you "Topper" from now on!:blob2:

By the way, Topper would go well with that avatar anyway!!;)

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :greenchainsaw:

For a 100USD difference, this is a "no-brainer" - just get the 361, and be done with it......;)

Last edited:
Isn’t that what it’s supposed to look like? No wonder I can’t get it started.

Nah, that’s it when I got it apart and figured out what was wrong with it. The piston and jug were in good shape so it got new bearings, ($9.44 each from NAPA) a couple seals and an oil pump drive from the Stihl dealer. It was back on the road for around $50.00 and two-hour’s time.

Like I said, it’s not my favorite saw but for what I’ve got into it, it’s great. I used it for a few hours last Saturday and half the day Sunday which has been the first chance I’ve had to really use it since I put it together. Like was mentioned earlier, it’s important to get the revs up before you hit the wood and keep them up in the cut. Much different than my old Jonsered 525 or my 460 which both have tons of low-end grunt. It drives more like a Husky in that sense. It’s not a bad saw and I’ll probably use it quite often as it’s a good in-between size and has enough power to handle 90% of the wood I cut.

As I don’t have a lot of money invested in it I’ll also use it for a trash saw that will get used if it’s raining, get strapped to the back of the Rover when I’m 4-wheeling, thrown on the tractor when I’m bush-hogging the woods, etc. Of course I’ve also got the $25.00 Husky 41 and the $100 Husky 350 for that too!!

But I’ll agree with the consensus of the board here…If I was going out and buying a brand new saw, I’d spend the extra $100 and buy a 361. But if new doesn’t matter to you, nice used 290s can be found for a couple hundred bucks on Ebay or Craig’s List.

Jim

I work a full time job in cubicle land during the day and spend my evenings working my 10 acre hobby farm. With our income tax refund, we bought a wood stove to heat our house with and I figured I will probably be cutting 5 cords a year. My little Echo CS3000 was not going to fit the bill and I needed to go shopping for a new saw.

I was looking at three saws: Echo CS520, Stihl MS390 and the Stihl MS361. My selection criteria was pretty simple. I wanted a good firewood saw that would last a long time.

I ruled out the CS520 after going to the dealer and picking it up once. The overall fit and finish just wasn't what I had in mind.

I then went to the Stihl dealer and compared the 390 the 361. After getting a feel for both saws, I decided pretty quickly on the 361.

I don't regret my decision at all. I have ran four tanks of fuel through it and it is a wonderful saw. I am exremely glad I spent the extra 100 bucks.

God bless,
Chris

Last edited:
Back