Stihl 4 mix engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborterra

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does any one know anything about the new four mix engines? I picked up a new KM 130 R combi tool with a few attachments a while back. It seems well built and is very handy. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it will not rev. It runs ok, sounds wierd, well I'm used to high strung two cycle engines. The salesman said it had better torque than a two cycle because the fuel burned all the way to the bottom of the cylinder rather than blowing out the exhaust half way down like the two cycles do. I't does seem to have real good torque at about five thousand RPM. I haven't put a tach on it to be sure but that is about all it will rev. I've seen forty year old Clintons rev better than this will. Is there anything that will make it run better ? Or is this what we must settle for in the future chain saws ? Maybe in twenty years we will be amazed at where the four stroke technology has gone, like the two cycles have since the forty year old Clinton. That is no comparison to my modded 346XP s. The Clinton did have gobs of torque. :chainsaw:

You might want to have this moved into the saw section so the Stihl techs can see. My KM110 manual is showing a max rpm of 10,500rpm. All of the 4 mix's I have ran, ran good and reved fine. Have you tried very small adjustments of the "L" carb screw? It could be several things but try backing off the L a little at a time to see if it clears up. Remember there is a limiter tab on that screw that will keep it from turning so much, it may have to be removed. If you think you may mess up the carb, take it back to your dealer and have him reset the carb and tune from there.

I played with the carb a little but I didn't want to pull the limiter tabs off yet.
It didn't make much if any difference so the tabs may need to go. I didn't know that it should rev 10,500. It doesn't rev anywhere near that. It does act like it needs more fuel. Maybe a bigger carb & fuel it with nitro.

The miffler is good. I havn't taken it apart yet, it looks good from the outside.
It doesn't make black smoke like if it were running rich. It seems to break up as though the air/fuel mix is too lean. I will run it today and see what the plug will tell me. Thanks for the reply.

No, they don't rev up any higher. They sound that way because they are not a two stroke. They do however have more power and torque than your old twostroke.
Leave it alone and enjoy it. Good machine.

a 4stroke at 10000rpm's is going to sound more like its only doing 5000rpm because it only has a combustion event every other time around so there are fewer exhaust pulses which is what you hear coming out of the muffler.

check to see if throttle cable is opening up all the way
i belive it adjust's it may be to loose

just a thought

Check it with a tacho 1st ,than worry if its not right ,, if under warranty get them to check it, if they like you as a customer they souldn't rip you off. Most of them rev straight up on the limiter.cheers JC
Gold trained by stihl

Does any one know anything about the new four mix engines? I picked up a new KM 130 R combi tool with a few attachments a while back. It seems well built and is very handy. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it will not rev. It runs ok, sounds wierd, well I'm used to high strung two cycle engines. The salesman said it had better torque than a two cycle because the fuel burned all the way to the bottom of the cylinder rather than blowing out the exhaust half way down like the two cycles do. I't does seem to have real good torque at about five thousand RPM. I haven't put a tach on it to be sure but that is about all it will rev. I've seen forty year old Clintons rev better than this will. Is there anything that will make it run better ? Or is this what we must settle for in the future chain saws ? Maybe in twenty years we will be amazed at where the four stroke technology has gone, like the two cycles have since the forty year old Clinton. That is no comparison to my modded 346XP s. The Clinton did have gobs of torque. :chainsaw:

That machine is reving more than you may think. A 130 tops out at around 10,400 rpms. If you got the machine in your hand and you full throttle it and hold it and the engines sputters at top speed thats all she's gonna do. The coil limits the rpms by cutting on and off at top rpm so it can't be over reved.
4-mix engines run much quieter than the 2 cycle and the sound is completely different. You think its hitting 5,000 rpms when its hitting over 10,000 rpms..

:agree2:

I haven't messed with a 4 mix yet, be we have been toying with the 4 stroke motoX bikes for a few years now.
If your 2 stroke ear is telling you 5k, you might be turning 10k. I wouldn't pass judgment until I stuck it on a tach.

The combitool has departed this world and will be greatly missed. It was a great and hard working companion for all its few weeks of existance.
I think it may have suffered a stroke. :(

When I get some time I'll take the little critter apart and see what happened to it. I't ran reasonable for a few weeks. I never bothered to put a tach on it
but I have run four stroke engines for many years in motorcycles and I have a pretty good idea what they should sound like at high RPM. It didn't run to bad, just didn't seem fast enough. It worked good with the brush cutter on it. It seemed to like a lot of load on the motor and made good torque. My son used it with the chain saw and when he brought it home he said it wasn't running right. I ran about half a tank of gas and it sounded like it had a burned valve when it got warmed up good. Anyway it will be fun to see what it looks like inside.

You ever get it looked at and running right?

Mr. HE:cool:

No. I never bothered to look at it. Winter set in and I have been building a new chipper truck. In the spring I will need the kombi tool again. Then it will be important. I hope I can bring it back from the dead. :clap:

I know this is an old post but I just purchased a KM 130 R.

This is a different engine for sure, but it's still just a 4 stroke and should work/rev as such. My problem was perhaps uniquely different in that my new tool ran like crap from day one on the top end and a constant stumble off idle with a shudder in the mid range. After 2 hours run time and one quick look at that spark plug told me this thing was chocking on fuel, which charcoal everywhere you look at the plug is never a good thing. You guys told me this has a rev limiter and that is exactly what I hear on the top end! This engine has so much power that it's hard to load it. I have the weed wacker/string trimmer and the cultivator attachments thus far and under wide open throttle it sounds fat/rich but it's actually ignition cut that is causing that sound, (aka) rev limiter. The constant hesitation I was dealing with required a 1 and a half clockwise turn on the "L" adjustment. Now it zing zings and also, it now runs much like a garden tractor where choke on equals put put put (still running) while choke off equals zing zing or brhaaap brhaaap.

I got the tools to adjust these ZAMA carbs and it is quite a special tool. But my concern is that I now have a strong running machine but I had to lean it out by 1 and half turns? It's all but brand new and I should not have to do a damn thing!

I pulled the spark arrestor and that made a world of difference right off the bat, so I knew I was heading in the right direction by leaning things out. Even still or STHIL, I should not have to deal with this crap. The STIHL adjustments from factory where either done on Monday or,,,, set up to run 2000 ft "below" sea level if that's even possible..... Either-way there is no way this engine needs that much fuel,,,,,right? But self lubricated by fuel and then I just took a whole bunch of fuel away, how does that work internally for the moving pieces and parts? Less fuel equals less oil, so is it rich for a reason? Well, my 130 power head runs nice now and soon I'll be ditching the paper air filter for a sponge bath version. In the mean-time can someone tell me for absolute certain if this 4-mix engine can run like any other 4 cycle engine or if it needs more fuel for the sake of it's own integrity?

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back