Stihl 461 vs 660 videos - 20" 24" 28" 32"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here are some detailed tests I did between the 461 and 660.

461 - ended up with a 3x ported muffler. I actually tested this out against other setups and it was the fastest. I also took out the limiter tabs and was able to extract some more power going richer. I have it as good as I think I can get it with out other mods like porting etc.

660 - during the tests I switched muff mod combos. But I still haven't settled on one particular muffler mod yet. Limit tabs were not removed as I still had room. So I guess I feel like the saw might have more to go yet on the muff mods.

Both saws are R version with HO oiler.

24 28 32 vids will be a few posts down after this 20" post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

20" bar - both saws share a slightly used (2 test cuts) Stihl RS chain & also a slightly used (2 test cuts) Stihl RSLH (sq. grd half skip) chain. 461 did cuts first then

1st 461 with RS chain
cut 1 oak log#1 - 10.7
cut 2 oak log#2-10.5
cut 3 cherry - 18.6

then 660 with same RS chain
cut 1 oak log #1 - 8.7 sec
cut 2 oak log#2 - 10.4 sec
cut 3 cherry - 16.7 sec

I did the cuts this way so the first cut would make sure the saw was warmed up (although I already warmed up the saw prior to cut 1) and also so the wood didn't change to skew results.

Next 461 with RSLH chain
cut 1 oak log #1 - 10.4
cut 2 oak log #2 - 11.6
cut 3 cherry - 18.3

then 660 with same RSLH chain
cut 1 oak log #1 - 9.6
cut 2 oak log #2 - 10.9
cut 3 cherry - 17.4

- 660 did beat 461 with both chains. Considering it went 2nd I give it a little extra applause.
- RSLH was about the same as RS with the 461.
- RSLH was slower than RS with the 660.

Over all I would say the 660 had a little more speed, but a lot more torque than the 461 with the 20" bar.

Have you ever tried RSLFK chain? It's the fastest I've used on my 660, 28" bar, and stays sharp a long time. I would like to see this chain in any future tests if possible. Thanks for all the testing....good stuff.

Stihl 660 cylinder.jpg
that very well could be. I know Mastermind removes the baffles from the 461 & 660s and from what I can tell doesn't have the problems I faced when I removed the baffle...which is: erratic idle and sucks gas.
Baffle removed looks like this.....works great since Mastermind did it. If you're wondering why it looks so clean I use Motul 800 off-road 2-cycle mix with non-E fuel.

View attachment 382185
Baffle removed looks like this.....works great since Mastermind did it. If you're wondering why it looks so clean I use Motul 800 off-road 2-cycle mix with non-E fuel.

Well tuned on any esther, the exhaust should look that clean. It has more to do with the tune of the saw than the mix unless you are just using cheap stuff tuned rich.

Maxima 927 with castor at 32:1 in a saw even hotter than that one:

158072783.pUzqHj6j.jpg

The semi skip or half skip square is my go to chain ,it is a good all around limbing ,bucking ,falling chain ,on the 32 inch bar it helps clear the chips better then full comp in softwoods ,bores nice ,limbs nice without being too grabby ,when you start and stop in a cut ,falling a tree ,the chip removal is important in softwoods to get the chain spinning again .Less cutters to sharpen over full comp too .

The semi skip or half skip square is my go to chain ,it is a good all around limbing ,bucking ,falling chain ,on the 32 inch bar it helps clear the chips better then full comp in softwoods ,bores nice ,limbs nice without being too grabby ,when you start and stop in a cut ,falling a tree ,the chip removal is important in softwoods to get the chain spinning again .Less cutters to sharpen over full comp too .

couldn't have said it better myself!

Slight derail on an excellent comparison. What is the difference between RS and RSK? I ordered a roll of RS from the dealer for a friend and saw RSK in the book but the dealer says that he has never ordered any.

The K has a smaller raker and a little wider gullet. Supposed to clear chips better. Only comes in 3/8" .050". My local dealer carries it in loops.

I like full comp more than I'll skip; I'll have to try the half.
Most of what I cut is hardwood, and I'm sure that has bearing

here are some detailed tests I did between the 461 and 660.

461 - ended up with a 3x ported muffler. I actually tested this out against other setups and it was the fastest. I also took out the limiter tabs and was able to extract some more power going richer. I have it as good as I think I can get it with out other mods like porting etc.

660 - during the tests I switched muff mod combos. But I still haven't settled on one particular muffler mod yet. Limit tabs were not removed as I still had room. So I guess I feel like the saw might have more to go yet on the muff mods.

Both saws are R version with HO oiler.

24 28 32 vids will be a few posts down after this 20" post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

20" bar - both saws share a slightly used (2 test cuts) Stihl RS chain & also a slightly used (2 test cuts) Stihl RSLH (sq. grd half skip) chain. 461 did cuts first then

1st 461 with RS chain
cut 1 oak log#1 - 10.7
cut 2 oak log#2-10.5
cut 3 cherry - 18.6

then 660 with same RS chain
cut 1 oak log #1 - 8.7 sec
cut 2 oak log#2 - 10.4 sec
cut 3 cherry - 16.7 sec

I did the cuts this way so the first cut would make sure the saw was warmed up (although I already warmed up the saw prior to cut 1) and also so the wood didn't change to skew results.

Next 461 with RSLH chain
cut 1 oak log #1 - 10.4
cut 2 oak log #2 - 11.6
cut 3 cherry - 18.3

then 660 with same RSLH chain
cut 1 oak log #1 - 9.6
cut 2 oak log #2 - 10.9
cut 3 cherry - 17.4

- 660 did beat 461 with both chains. Considering it went 2nd I give it a little extra applause.
- RSLH was about the same as RS with the 461.
- RSLH was slower than RS with the 660.

Over all I would say the 660 had a little more speed, but a lot more torque than the 461 with the 20" bar.

What were the saws tuned to at WOT (rpms)?

660- 13200

461 - tuned to performance, since limited coil. For sure 13500 obviously. Basically i was all the way Rich on the H.

I then removed the limit tab and went 1/4 turn richer and gained .8 seconds. I went 1/2 a turn and lost .4 from that...saw was tuned to max performance for all of the tests. So in that sense the 461 for sure had all the advantages over the 660 and still lost. Not by much. The main difference between the two saws was the torque.

660- 13200

461 - tuned to performance, since limited coil. For sure 13500 obviously. Basically i was all the way Rich on the H.

I then removed the limit tab and went 1/4 turn richer and gained .8 seconds. I went 1/2 a turn and lost .4 from that...saw was tuned to max performance for all of the tests. So in that sense the 461 for sure had all the advantages over the 660 and still lost. Not by much. The main difference between the two saws was the torque.
Thanks. Great job.

660- 13200

You will find that each chain in each type of wood will have their own tune for max performance. Yes you can set the tune to a certain RPM and your saw will work, and you wont have any problems, but to get max performance, you have to tune to the load the saw is seeing.

You will find that each chain in each type of wood will have their own tune for max performance. Yes you can set the tune to a certain RPM and your saw will work, and you wont have any problems, but to get max performance, you have to tune to the load the saw is seeing.

well based on that then the 660 was at a severe disadvantage. 461 was tuned on every bar. Chains were all new RS one for each bar and each saw.

well based on that then the 660 was at a severe disadvantage. 461 was tuned on every bar. Chains were all new RS one for each bar and each saw.
Yes it was.
All combustion engines need more fuel for more load. This is why autotune and mtronic work so well, they are constantly adjusting fuel to their respective loads

Latest posts

Back