stihl 661 bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to put a 20 inch bar on my 661 instead of the 25 or 32 inch bars i have. I have 20 inch bars for my jonsered, husqvarna, and dolmar saws. Will any of those work on my 661 or do i need some kind of adapter? After work today i'm gunna go put some on and try them out...

A 20 inch bar on a 661? Why even have a 661 if you are going to run that short of a bar? I mean, really... I run 20" to 25" bars on my 60cc saws.

As others have said, no other bars from other saws will fit a Stihl. You can mess with adapters, but why? If you get a 20" bar for it, get a Stihl ES solid bar or equivalent. Also flip the sprocket out to at least an 8 pin with a 20" B&C, or it is a complete waste of torque (unless you are cutting something really hard like Eucalyptus in California or down undah).

The only reason I'm asking is since I have 2 ripping chains for my alaskan mill one is a 20 inch chain and the other is a 32 inch chain... I don't want to go out and buy another ripping chain if I could just use one of my other bars on my 661... I guess I'll just put the 20 inch bar and ripping chain on one of my 70 cc saws...

Those others will not work because the Stihl's bar throat is larger to accommodate the bigger bar studs. I'm also not even sure that the oiler hole on those bars would line up with the 661's oiler, so that's another potential issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bar throat" - but with a large Husky/D009 bar all you need to do is to widen the bolt slot in the bar (unless you grind down the shoulders of the bar nuts instead).
Oiler and adjuster holes basically will fit.

The same basically is the case with several other bar mounts, that share the "D" size tail in the Oregon system.

A 20 inch bar on a 661? Why even have a 661 if you are going to run that short of a bar? I mean, really... I run 20" to 25" bars on my 60cc saws.
my intention was to use the 661 for my small milling as well... I got the 661 with the 32 inch bar and ripping chain for the big stuff... so why not use it for the medium size stuff too is what I figured

If finish isn't paramount use a chain you already have for milling the small stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bar throat" - but with a large Husky/D009 bar all you need to do is to widen the bolt slot in the bar (unless you grind down the shoulders of the bar nuts instead).
Oiler and adjuster holes basically will fit.

The same basically is the case with several other bar mounts, that share the "D" size tail in the Oregon system.
Bar throat in my case = Bolt slot in your case. Throat = Slot. Sometimes it's closed and sometimes it's open. LOML says the same thing to me on occasion. ;)

Anything wrong with buying a new bar in your desired length, gauge, pitch, tail mount for the 661? You can modify anything but why put your time into something you may not have the skills tools to do well. You prolly earn more in your field of work than you will save potentially doing a sub standard bar mod. l say earn ya pennies and spend them wisely on the right stuff and besides a 661 deserves a tight well fitted bar that will maximise your cutting experience. l have modded quite a few bars with some regret, it's only beneficial in a situation where your seeking something you cannot buy off the shelf like modifying nose sprockets to run picco ect.

my intention was to use the 661 for my small milling as well... I got the 661 with the 32 inch bar and ripping chain for the big stuff... so why not use it for the medium size stuff too is what I figured

"I see," said the blind man to his deaf son.... you are herby vindicated. Milling is good. A 20 inch bar for milling with a 661 is sanctioned, even by a west coast long bar junkie like myself. Ripping chain ain't cheap. Milling is not easy on saws either.

Hey, I wonders if Picco B&C would survive on a 661 for milling? Where are all those guys that I learned about Picco for milling from back in the day on AS that were knee deep into chainsaw mills? Where have they all gone to?

I have a 16" 325 bar I use on my Stih 039 with an 8 pin sprocket.
It rips through hard Eucalyptus (all I ever cut) like its angry with it :chainsaw:

I have considered bolting it to my 066 Magnum with a 9 pin sprocket to see what it will do....... I'm thinking it will be a hot knife - butter scenario :innocent:

I have used a 20" 3/8 063 bar on my 066 and it works fine. Definitely use an 8 pin sprocket as it will easily have enough power to drive the chain faster.
My 066 runs a 30" bar running 3/8 full chisel full comp chain in 30" Eucalyptus with a 8 pin sprocket without an issue. Bloody thing tries to drag me in!

Love the 66 series Stihls!

JHC, I have over 8 thousand posts on this site? Am I insane, or what?
No, and many of them have been superb. I imagine I've read over two thousand of them. If we had documented all of your tips, Fear of Pavement's, Troll's, Philbert's, Brad's, a dozen other author's tips, and a paltry few of mine, we could have published a book and sold half a million copies. The title of the book could simply have been "Chainsaw Tips and Repairs." Six to ten chapters with a hundred tips and repair topics in each would have comprised the text. I estimate that author royalties would have been at least $20 grand apiece with an extra $10 grand for the editor and compositor.

Back