Stihl 661 cm for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ported and piped

New saw is a beast
Reaction score
Is the 661 cm good for milling. Need opinions on whether they are good or bad. Or if it will just burn up I won't be milling nothing bigger than 24" be makeing 2x6 and 2x4 and board 1/2" thick or should I just stick to the husky 390 xp tried to get my hands on a 395 but it not happening. Any advice would be great.
Thanks

I use mine for occasional milling. I have the HO oiler on mine and use an aux oiler drip.

It works fine, but if you already have a saw with time on it I would put that through the abuse before buying a new 661.

Stihl haved dropped the ball with the 661. Mine didnt last 12mths. No confidence in buying another. Running a husky 390 now and the more i use it the more i like it.

What happened to your saw were u using it just for milling or bucking and dropping to cause I need something that can work hard at both when I need it

I'm using a Jonsered 2172 (Husky 372 x-torq) for milling with a 24" bar and it does just fine. I wanted a light saw that could be used for both logging and milling. For me the 2172 fits the bill perfectly.

My dealer said I burn it up that it not going to hold up cause that was what I was going to get and then he suggested the 390xp would be better. I put everything on hold till I get this figured out cause I'm dam confused and the other husky dealer said it that the 372xp x- torn would be fine ????

Tune it fat, give it time to work, clean the air filter often, use a good bar and chain and keep it sharp, adjust the oiler to max and let the saw run on idle for a few min after each cut. The saw will last for a long time if you take care of it. I started out with 3/8 LP (0.50) on my 2172, but swapped to regular 3/8 (0.58) semi chisel, and it cuts much better and it carries more oil.

Out of the box 661 was great, then it started bogging only waking up halfway through a cut. Fuel use was out getting out of control, top cover causes a bad vibe. Everything on fuel delivery side was replaced under warranty but still runs like crap. Only answer stihl had was to buy another one, which kinda pissed me off. I would have thought stihl would have ironed the bugs out by now, but I'm hearing more guys like me are changing colours due to poor product performance.

Sounds like Harley Davidson when they went on the exchange some years back. Don't point at the CEO... Look deeper at the shareholders who could care less about a well machined product but their quarterly dividens. That's the way it is.

Out of the box 661 was great, then it started bogging only waking up halfway through a cut. Fuel use was out getting out of control, top cover causes a bad vibe. Everything on fuel delivery side was replaced under warranty but still runs like crap. Only answer stihl had was to buy another one, which kinda pissed me off. I would have thought stihl would have ironed the bugs out by now, but I'm hearing more guys like me are changing colours due to poor product performance.
Well stihl is out of question and set on that after the things I keep hearing I can get the 390 xp for 100$ more then the 372xp and is 2lbs more I think not much heavier then the 455 r so it all comes down to the decision.

First thing dealer replaced was coil, they said there were a few out there that had known dud coils and instead of recalling or even checking the numbers before they went out the door, they selling them and fingers crossed they worked. Kinda feel for the dealers, they losing customers because that's all they can offer. I would have gladly got another 660 if they were available.

I don't need something that's going to cop out in the middle of a cut or spend good trees on something that I have to bring back to the dealer and have a head ache over it . And I don't need to take a chance and then later say boy I am I f$&!, dum should have went husky
I am just saying I have heard they have a lot of problems and things like seizeing up then u take it to the dealer and won't replace or tell you it ur fault no thanks

something I thought was neat ms 661 cm with full adjustable carb

something I thought was neat ms 661 cm with full adjustable carb

it seems that some people are getting good 661c and the some are not is all I am trying to say cause I like stihls and husky but if I got a good 661 and know it would last I would get one

Back