Stihl 661 cm for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 661 CM has been great. Hope it holds up well, but only time will tell. Great saw so far, though; falling, bucking and milling.

Dito. I've had mine for 6-8 months... something like that. I just spent 3 weeks running it almost all day every day, and it didn't bat an eyelash. I saw swapping between 36" bar and 20", no problem. Now I was extra super careful when going through its "break in phase", of you believe in those.

Beautiful lumber pic.

Less than 90cc too small to mill? Not effiecient? I Haven't learned enough yet, i was hoping to use a p85 to begin some milling. Thoughts.

Beautiful lumber pic.

Less than 90cc too small to mill? Not effiecient? I Haven't learned enough yet, i was hoping to use a p85 to begin some milling. Thoughts.

Honestly it's still all about the chain. If that saw has a manual oiler that could be real handy. It will probably get the job done, and done well with the right chain.

Just one word of caution though - CSM will have you craving more power and more oil and it can only deepen a CAD addiction... ;)

Tha
Honestly it's still all about the chain. If that saw has a manual oiler that could be real handy. It will probably get the job done, and done well with the right chain.

Just one word of caution though - CSM will have you craving more power and more oil and it can only deepen a CAD addiction... ;)
thanks for all the input guys I am waiting till spring for my big saw went and order a ms 461 for a new bucking and dropping saw seeing as the husky 455 rancher is just under powered i should have my new saw by Wednesday Or Thursday It was special order

Wish I got one of the good ones, but every one I talk to around here has had some sort of problem. Mine ran great until its first hiccup. Its the first stihl i have had that hasn't lasted a year, it's a back up saw now. Last day I used it it drank 12l of fuel. I still love my 090's and my 880's, but I'm wondering maybe I need to try a 3120.

Wish I got one of the good ones, but every one I talk to around here has had some sort of problem. Mine ran great until its first hiccup. Its the first stihl i have had that hasn't lasted a year, it's a back up saw now. Last day I used it it drank 12l of fuel. I still love my 090's and my 880's, but I'm wondering maybe I need to try a 3120.

What's the serial number on your 661?

Thanks Steve. Have you tried contacting a different dealer, or Stihl directly? Seems like it's got to be something that can be fixed and, if not, the saw should be replaced.

My saw is 179925XXX. Hoping it keeps running strong. My dealer is absolutely excellent when it comes to addressing issues, though.

Shawn
The p85 does have an additional manual oiler for such occasions

Looking for a 28" + bar to run.

Not familiar with CSM or a CAD addiction. .

Please advise.

Not familiar with CSM or a CAD addiction. .

Please advise.

Give it time... :laugh:

CSM = Chain Saw Milling
CAD = Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder. While not technically recognized as a "real" disease by any medical professionals, most members here suffer from some level of it.

Oh. Yup, my wife refers to CAD as collecting to much "stuff". But a different s word. "How many do you need"? Her words ... Mine, "one more"

Many thanks

Oh. And whats "give it a bump"?

Thanks Steve. Have you tried contacting a different dealer, or Stihl directly? Seems like it's got to be something that can be fixed and, if not, the saw should be replaced.

My saw is 179925XXX. Hoping it keeps running strong. My dealer is absolutely excellent when it comes to addressing issues, though.

You would hope they are working hard to fix these issues but I couldn't justify gambling 2k on another saw to have the same issues. Mr husky must be rubbing his hands together, the husky dealer I got the 390 from sold 6 in the first half of Jan 4 of them were to guys who were running 661's.

You would hope they are working hard to fix these issues but I couldn't justify gambling 2k on another saw to have the same issues. Mr husky must be rubbing his hands together, the husky dealer I got the 390 from sold 6 in the first half of Jan 4 of them were to guys who were running 661's.
By the sounds of things, Stihl NZ is bleeding customers as a result of not just the 661 issues but the lack of effective post-sale support. Farked if I'd gamble my work performance/revenue on getting a good 661. At least you know the 390 is proven.

Back