Stihl 661C, Husky 395xp, or Jonsered 2188

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A. Craig

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum and have an interest in cutting some big timber in milling some slabs for tables and such. I have small and midsize chainsaws, but I'd like to buy a bigger saw that can handle a 36 inch bar or so for taking down the occasional monster oak, cottonwood, hedge, etc. and for use in a CS mill. But I'm having a hard time deciding on the right saw. In my area, I have easy access to Stihl, Jonsered, and Husky product lines. I'm not wed to any particular brand at this point. If you have suggestions, I'm all ears. Obviously, practical experience comparing the saws mentioned above is a huge plus. Thanks!

Aaron

Thanks, mdavle. Given your avatar pic, I'm surprised by the Husky recommendation. :) Thanks again!
That was in honor of Phil. That was his avatar picture and I've never changed it back. I've used a 395 a good bit on a mill and a 390 one day. 6 cuts and 2.5 gallons of mix on the 390 was enough. I was only making 9' long cuts 20-26" wide in cherry and the 390 had to be refilled halfway down. 395 would just loaf along.

If you dont have a preference at this time, go and visit both the Stihl and Husky shops..Try to talk to the mechanic guy or the owner...explain what your after and try to compare there perspective responses(husky vs stihl)....Dont buy but just get a feel for the shops....
Its like ford vs. chevy , which is better(unimog of course)!!!!! Most people stick with one brand, so you have an open field.
G Vavra
( i run huskys so thats my vote)

Between the 661 and 390 I would go 661. I have both but not milled with either. The 395 has a good rep but heavy. Wouldn't hurt to run a bit richer milling.

In big wood here on the west coast falling I'll run my 395 or 385, no experience with the 661 but the 660 wasn't a whole lot lighter then the 395 in my experience and doesn't have the torque to pull long bars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I had this same question the OP did, well leaving out the 2188 and 390, more interested in the 395/661 opinions.

I've not milled with a 661 or the 2188. I have milled quite a bit with a 395. It pulls a 42" bar just fine through white or yellow pine. I've not milled any hardwood though. IMO you can't go wrong with a 395.

I have a 395 and run a 42 inch bar on it when I use my mill. Gives me about 36 inches of cut with the GB mill. Pulls it great. Don't have any experience with the 661. I'm a Husky guy but that is just personal preference. My recommendation is stay with the 395 or 661. Or an 880 or 3120.

This is a very timely post for me, I was going to ask the same question, very interested in the responses
My 064 just bit the dust but where I'm at the stihl dealer is more competent and that is swaying my vote

I have not milled yet, but the 395 has noticeably more power than the other saws mentioned when bucking, as well as having the benefit of an outboard clutch which has the advantange of staying cooler when milling. If you cannot get an 880 or 3120, the 395 is the next best thing.

This is a very timely post for me, I was going to ask the same question, very interested in the responses
My 064 just bit the dust but where I'm at the stihl dealer is more competent and that is swaying my vote
Which part bit the dust I need a tank handle and bits.

I have only used a 394xp and bought it here. Usually a little cheaper than a 395, even having been ported. Biggest saw on your list and I would think that is what ya want for milling, at least that's what I wanted.

Had my 661 for almost a year, 100hrs in the coil gave up, top engine cover keeps flogging out the rubber grommets so vibes alot, auto tune sometimes doesent work that great i can be half way through a cut before it wakes up and revs, im not that confident on buying another, sorta think they are getting flimsy.

I ended up finding a MS660 that I bought, just needs to get here and get the mill built. I was afraid of teh 661 for the reasons above ^. I want to be able to tweak the tune myself. We'll see what happens.

I have asked for a 660 several times but no longer available, one dealer bought last the 50 in the country and sold them in a week. My employer has ordered a 390 for himself and is going to let me be the first to run it, if i like it i will be jumping ship.

Understood. I was leaning towards the 395 myself until I had a friend find the 660 I have coming. Was too good of shape not to buy it. I'm sure they'll figure out the M-Tronic, but not sure I'd trust it for milling myself, but that's me and my limited knowledge.

Back