Stihl Aftermarket Parts Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfincr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since there seems to be a lot of threads that pop up from time to time asking about aftermarket parts i figured i'd start one for Stihls to make one thread to collect the data in one spot. Plus there are a few parts that i have been debating on getting and am on the fence about going aftermarket.

So far i have used the following:

Ms260 carbs from china (ebay) - so far used 3 all have worked perfectly and were actually well made.
Ms260 air filter covers - one did not want to fit nicely and took some finess the others fit but were a little off
Ms036/360 (ebay) - fitment was not that great had a few gaps around the sides and starter rope was not long. but functional

Please feel free to add your experiences to this thread

Good thread: I would like to know about HYWAY cylinders & pistons. I bought a (no name)Piston & cyl from LilRedBarn for my 460 Mag. So far it's doing well. Anybody ??

I bought 10 fuel lines off 1 of those China suppliers, finally tried 1. Had a heck of a time getting it to fit over the pick up. Saw didn't run very long, like less then a minute. The rubber split apart around the pick up nipple and it detached from the line.
I have a small collection of other China parts I picked up cheap. Expect will be trying some of it in the future.
Any body used their fuel filters ?

I understand that in general AM plastic parts tend to have fitment issues, and the plastic often is inferior quality, and heavier than OEM.

Personally I think it is good advice to stay away from AM parts, unless OEM is NLA - but of course there are a few exceptions, like Meteor pistons. ;)

Meteor pistons in general are probly the best AM piston but it still pays to check them ,ive had the odd one with casting flaws and one with the circlip groove that wasnt machined correctly and would not allow the clip to seat,

clutch covers fit good,
cylinders can be hit and miss for quality,
bearings seam ok ,am running some in a couple 026s ,034,036 no worries yet,running a richer mix probly helps,
China Sparkplugs are junk,
fuel lines and intake boots dont always fit good
cranks seals usually junk
Fuel caps that dont seal ar fit good

Have used some carbs with good results,some needing the needle height corrected,and gaskets replaced but generally good
Clutches and drums seem to work good
Rim sprockets can be poorly made being out of round

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

I keep hearing that the AM parts are being improved upon but I really have not seen much of an improvement yet. The parts for the most part will fit, sometimes with a little tinkering and will work but none come up to OEM standards so far. The P&C sets have improved marginally but still leave a lot to be close to OEM. Therefore its still OEM for most of the stuff I use, one exception is the Hutzl outer plastic covers, they aren`t the best but have fit and do the job, look better than old faded out parts and if they break or fail it won`t damage a running saw.

I put a hutzle (sp?) fuel tank on a guys 660...it was ok, didn't leak or nuttin. The master control lever was pretty flimsy as was the air filter cover that came with it. I tried to fit a stock cover on it but there was fitment issues so just stuck with the am supplied cover and it was all good. I'd say Not a bad option if you want to keep repair cost down.

if the title had been "aftermarket parts reviews" i would be all over this but since it's stihl only i'll be going now.
i thought about making it a general one but figured it'd be better to keep it clean to easily search.

I've used a couple air filters. One required some fitting, but both worked.

P&C kits are hit and miss. Usually bad cast quality. I had one with the plating coming off. I have also had a few that were fine. As far as brands I am not sure. The ones baileys sells I can say have been decent.

I have used quite a few of the clutch covers and they seem ok.

I have also used clutch drums and sprockets with limited success. I recently had an MS460 am drum that was out of round. Other than that, not bad.

Have had nothing but GOOD from HYWAY kit....get them reom weedeaterman!!!! All still going strong...even the ones I ported!! I personally think there GREAT!!
Have had good luck with aftermarket carbs also.
Fuel tank for 038 was a little off but worked. Things didn't line up the best when assembled in some areas.

Off stihl subject here....
Used an afrermarket case on a 372, and it was very good. Sent from China but made in Italy...still scratching my head on that one. Fit was excellent, very good color match, matched righ up to tank and fit like OEM. Only thing off was I had to grind a little off one of the supports to get oil pump to fit right and lay down. Original case had a chunk broke out of oil tank by dogs. This fixed it, looked good, person was HAPPY, and was fairly cheap in comparison.

My experiance in aftermarked some things are as good or better and others are off, plastics especially.

Used a am ms361 case, good.
Used a am ms360 case, good.
Used a am ms361 fuel tank, good.
Used a am ms360 recoil, has issues engaging.
Am handle bars good

TURBS

How can i annoy OC today?

Used a am ms361 case, good.
Used a am ms360 case, good.
Used a am ms361 fuel tank, good.
Used a am ms360 recoil, has issues engaging.
Am handle bars good

TURBS

You said "good" - but did you check that the material and the weight is as OEM?

Chances are that it isn't!

I purchased an AM recoil rope & elastostart handle through one of our sponsors and the handle came off in my hand in less than a month. Was not expensive enough for me to bother following up with it. Put the original (w/o elastostart) back on. I mostly wanted the larger handle.

You said "good" - but did you check that the material and the weight is as OEM?

Chanses are that it isn't!
That part didn't matter so much to me as i I'm not a professional woodsman,
I'm just a plain Ole firewood cutter trying to keep 9 saws running ....... [emoji12]

Luckily the wood just appears in my driveway now and again.

Mostly oak,ash and maple.

TURBS

Back