Stihl Aftermarket Parts Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
044 and three 026 pistons,all from different suppliers

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2
Just wondering. I've used a few meteors here lately and all of them looked good for 046 and 064.

I've used a couple of the Hutzl 038 tanks with no problem. A lot of fuel filters, hard to go wrong for a buck. I've had no trouble with them but I've heard others have. Crank seals seem to be doing fine. The air filters are iffy. Some of them look ok and some of them are junk.

I've never seen a good chinese piston, but some of the cylinders look very good. I got an 038 kit from HL and the jug was very nice but the piston was garbage. I'll stick with Meteor, never a problem yet.

I've never seen a good chinese piston, but some of the cylinders look very good. I got an 038 kit from HL and the jug was very nice but the piston was garbage. I'll stick with Meteor, never a problem yet.[/QUOTE]
Could you please provide some specifics regarding what made the piston garbage? ie, flaws/voids in casting? it wasn't round? piston pin wouldn't fit in hole? ring grooves wrong size? not shiny enough?

I've never seen a good chinese piston, but some of the cylinders look very good. I got an 038 kit from HL and the jug was very nice but the piston was garbage. I'll stick with Meteor, never a problem yet.
Could you please provide some specifics regarding what made the piston garbage? ie, flaws/voids in casting? it wasn't round? piston pin wouldn't fit in hole? ring grooves wrong size? not shiny enough?[/QUOTE]

Pin wouldn't go in, the bores weren't machined straight, however that happens. And one of the circlip grooves wasn't deep enough to accept the clip.

It was quite shiny, no problem there.

044 with a pin bore not true ,044 -pin would not go all way through no matter what,
026 -circlip groove not deep enough to accept circlip on one side of pin bore ,basically not machined all way around,
026 with crack in piston skirt ,
026 with crack in pin boss
and I have a episan brand 034 that also sports a crack in the pin boss
I realize all brands have their inherent problems for whatever reason but it seems that meteor QC may be slipping

I have purchased from Watsonr in the past and was always happy, and have been pleased in general with Meteor/Camber products for my customers' saws.

My aftermarket experiences as posted at the SH forum recently.

Most of my experience is with Huztl parts for pro model Stihl saws as I have used literally several thousand of them, second only in number to OEM Stihl.
Huztl stihl chain tensioners are less "smooth" than OEM. After installation, you need to work them back and forth with a big screwdriver to get the gears to mesh better.
Huztl MS290 recoil assembly (1 of three used so far I hate homeowner saws) had a sharp burr on the metal cord grommet and cut the cord on the third pull. They replaced it free.
Huztl MS660 (and many others, same part) clutch covers. In my most recent order of 30 covers, one package of 4 had paint problems. They are usable but not perfect enough to sell or use on a customers saw. They replaced for free.
Huztl MS660 complete engine, one arrived with a mangled oil seal, they offered to replace the entire part, but I declined as it was a 2 minute fix.
Huztl MS361 crankcase does not include the impulse hose nipple, just odd and about a $3.50 piece from Stihl.
Huztl stihl flywheels do not come with keys, $.99 from Stihl again just a little odd.
Huztl MS660 tank handle assembly (1 of 10) arrived with cosmetic shipping damage, ugly but usable, they replaced it free.
Huztl MS361 top cover shrouds (2 of 10) arrived with cracks, they replaced them free.
found a few more parts that are utterly shiiiiiiit from Huztl, I am sure they will replace but be aware
1. threaded nuts that are part of the air filter for an MS260 are soft and poorly threaded, two of the four I had on hand were unusable - they replaced
2. the tank vent on both MS260 tank handle assemblies I have are crap, they fail the pressure test after assembly and yanking the pull start a few times - they replaced the entire handle assemblies
Had an MS361 fuel line that I replaced for a customer online who said it split at the filter end after about 2 months of use with marine fuel (no ethanol).
Of the 650+ flippy caps I have bought and sold since July I had two of the small size that wouldn't seal properly.
DDave

I've been really curious about the hutzl parts, sounds like they arent too bad over all and at least their customer service seem really good

Their customer service is good I've heard too. Huztl is the only one I've dealt with so far. There is another that I've just found, they go by UNGT Warehouse. They sent me a price list for wholesale parts that is pretty much the same thing Huztl sent me. I haven't dealt with these guys yet.

With Huztl, the only issue that I had was an MS440 recoil that I bought from them that had some chips out of the paint and was really apparent. I wanted to return it but my customer stopped by so I showed him. He was okay with it so I sold it almost at cost to him. Everyone was happy, so it turned out okay. We didn't want to wait the 2 weeks to get it from China for a new one.

Anyone tried a built engine/case from huztl? Ebays got them for $110, just not so sure how the quality could be

Have had good and bad experiences with some of the stuff. Not downing aftermarket parts. I use my share of them.
I wondered about the 066 crank cases. Anyone here got experience with a build with one?

Hyway P&c and gaskets were solid
Huztl carbs for shindiawa & Echo trimmers, stihl saws, ran fine, but still under a year.
Huztl starter cover, suprised how well made
Huztl lines, filters and primers fine
Huztl air filters, fitment problems with OEM cover
Chain brake OK, clutch fit, no run time
Huztl drum an bearing fitment, quality concern

The 281 XP rewind I just bought came like this...
Note the apparent milled section in the bottom left corner.

Attachments

• IMG_20140924_152334772_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140924_152334772_HDR.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 80
I can't remember if I said something prior but I would be reluctant to buy any more China fuel lines, I don't remember whose I bought but it was a lot of 10 and the filter end of the 1st 1 I tried came apart within an hour after I put it on. Thought I'd confirm since some one else had a similar incident in a prior thread I assume from Hutzl.
On an 066 starter I never used yet it looks to me it isn't that well made. Another starter I ended up with that appeared after market the threads for the starter pulley screw were stripped. I assume the materials these are made of are softer and more delicate, my opinion.
Any body have much experience with the rim sprockets on bigger saws ? I bought 10 3/8 standard spline but haven't used any yet. They look good to me without a side by side comparison of OEM.

actually wrangling with them now about refund/return. If you zoom the picture on their thumb nail
on the add it actually has this place on it. The explanation was they made them with a "trademark"
on this item and had to remove it in order to sell it. That's a first for me.

Latest posts

Back