Stihl Aftermarket Parts Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a hyway muffler on a 660 and a 460 to switch to dual port, no problems. I rebuilt a makita construction saw that got used dry in concrete without an air filter (cylinder and piston were baaaaad lol) with an am top end and it fired up on the first pull and its got maybe 5-700 hours of commercial use on it with no issues. (Believe it was farmertec or hyway)

Got my 044 #2 running today, it was the coil. So now the saw has Heztl (Farmer Tech) carb & coil, will see how they perform & hold up.

The carb has a snorkle, which I covered with a piece of cloth & a rubber band. It is labeled ZAMA! The carb also had the thinner adjusting screws, which I prefer.

The coil itself was an exact fit, but the spark plug wire is a little too long, but it works! I adjusted the coil by putting a business card between the coil & the flywheel, then rotating the flywheel till the magnetic portion drew it in. I pressed it a slight bit firmer and tightened it up. She fired right up!

It may be low tech, but it worked. Besides, all my feeler gauges are flat!

I am finding that unless you buy from an American seller that does the quality checks
and goes through this stuff, its a crap shoot at best on the kind of quality that will show
up.

Has anyone used the bearings for the stihl 090 that is for sale on eBay?? The original one is impossible to kill if god oil is used, but some saws that has not been taken care of, can be bad. I have some aftermaked crank bearings, but has not used them yet. Are they any good? Do they hold up?? I have put a aftermaked piston in one, seems to be good. The saw runs very well with it.

I just brought in and installed 3 complete sets of airfilters, airfilter covers and engine top covers for the MS 260 and 3 carbs. The filters seem to be better than the ones I got last year, fit good. The airfilter cover works fine and locks into place good also. The top shroud had a little fitment issue at the left rear where there is a prong that goes into a corresponding hole in the case and there is a molded in bump in the cover just forward of the prong. It required a little trimming to the prong and the bump with a sharp knife to get it to fit nicely, not real hard to do. The carbs all work fine, just like the previous ones I have used.

I just brought in and installed 3 complete sets of airfilters, airfilter covers and engine top covers for the MS 260 and 3 carbs. The filters seem to be better than the ones I got last year, fit good. The airfilter cover works fine and locks into place good also. The top shroud had a little fitment issue at the left rear where there is a prong that goes into a corresponding hole in the case and there is a molded in bump in the cover just forward of the prong. It required a little trimming to the prong and the bump with a sharp knife to get it to fit nicely, not real hard to do. The carbs all work fine, just like the previous ones I have used.

I am interested to know if the choke flap work well in these newer ones that you purchased. I bought a few over time. None of these AM filters worked in the 026 or the MS260 series.
Thanks for posting, let me know.

So who does that, and how they going to check the quality of a carb or coil?

I guess you are right in relation to the parts you specified. There are a few sellers that are brokering some of the stuff and culling out some things that have quality problems.
If you buy through fleabay you can always get a refund:clap:

I guess you are right in relation to the parts you specified. There are a few sellers that are brokering some of the stuff and culling out some things that have quality problems.
If you buy through fleabay you can always get a refund:clap:
Yep. I bought three of the carbs that PG600 speaks of from a guy in California. Have a set of the oil seals coming from a guy in Florida. When I do my searches, I look to see what is shipping from China or Hong Kong, and then I filter my results to only show US sellers so I can buy the same product without the over seas shipping delay.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the NWP 039/MS390 short blocks. I have installed several over the last three years, two see pretty severe duty on a regular basis, and as of yet no failures. I installed a complete Meteor top end on a MS260 and it runs stronger than my stock 44 mm 026. Have used several HL Supply pistons, NWP pistons, and Meteors in various saws and no problems so far. Also used an Oregon air filter (mesh) on a MS260 and it works great.

Joe

Bought a Stihl 076 / 760 muffler cover, bad painting and one screw hole was far away from where it should be, but generally fitted except of this screw.

The choke flap mechanism would not function properly on every one I purchased. Glad you had success with yours.

They seem kinda straight forward on the ones I got from Huztl/ they came in a Forester branded bag. The frame assembly seemed solid and I checked the cross shaft and flap, function and alignment were perfect but they use a coil spring on the end of the shaft as a return spring instead of the OEM setup. It seems simple but time will tell if it holds up well, when installed it functions well with the master control switch. The saws all start cold fine, just the same as they did with OEM filter choke setups. I now have these filters on 6 of my own saws.

Back