Stihl Aftermarket Parts Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have mentioned the Clutch covers for the Stihls from Farmertec are excellent quality. Over the years I have tried several from different places. I typically try to order from somebody that has stock here in the states. The ones from Farmertec that came direct from China were the nicest. Several years ago I ordered one that I would swear was an OEM with the Logo ground off and repowder coated.

I should have mentioned the Clutch covers for the Stihls from Farmertec are excellent quality. Over the years I have tried several from different places. I typically try to order from somebody that has stock here in the states. The ones from Farmertec that came direct from China were the nicest. Several years ago I ordered one that I would swear was an OEM with the Logo ground off and repowder coated.
I've bought 3 or 4 of them and have to agree. Someone on here stated they were made of metal which I hadn't realized. Might be one case where the AM might be better than OEM.

Guess this isn't aftermarket parts as such, but here in NZ we are flooded with Chinese bars and chains, one called Tri Link I tried a few years back, the chain stretched very easily and didn't hold an edge long, so wasn't impressed.May have improved since, but, well...one bitten, twice shy for me. But have one called "Longer" here in NZ available through an auction site, that chain is excellent, holds a sharp edge just as well as the Oregon chain, and lasts very well. Bars are pretty crappy, tend to chip off near the sprocket early, despite maximum oiling and cleaning. On an MS440. Okay for the home firewood guy though, considering you can get a 24 inch bar and chain combo for about $80NZ.
Have heard of the chinese fuel filters being total rubbish, falling off the line and not filtering well, same with chinese air filters.
I run Sugi Hara bars and Longer branded chains on the 440 and 661, been really happy with that setup.

On another note I purchased a chinese 4 in 1 pole trimmer/chainsaw/edger/weed whacker for $450, as couldn't justify the $1800 for the Stihl system, well I sold that chinese junk 4 months later (1 month warranty) for $100 and was happy to see the end of it. If people think chines chainsaw are rubbish, they need to try these 4 in 1 pole trimmers. True crap.

Fitted a chinese no name piston and cylinder to a friends 660 a couple of years back, which has held up really well, it still has excellent compression and a ton of grunt, here in NZ a P/C kit for a 660 aftermarket runs about $180, genuine Stihl would no doubt be three times that.

Personally would never buy chinese filters, rubbers, gaskets, bearings or cranks...otherwise for the cost savings (especially here in NZ) their chains, clutches and plastics are great value.

I've been looking at those $450 combos on trademe but theres so much imported junk on there I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I picked up a stihl combi , ms250 and fs 85 for $85 the other day, apart from the ms 250 they are all in the sort of miserable condition you'd expect for that price.

I didn't realize how good the MS250 was until I had a bunch of wood to cut up. Kinda reminded me of my old Super EZ with the power to weight thing. Since I'm not a teenager I've kinda taken to the lighter saws. One thing about these Stihl homeowner saws, if something breaks it doesn't cost much to fix it.

Wow, well done..for that money parts alone would be worth a lot more, the MS250 seem to be a good saw?

They don't get a lot of love here because they are a clamshell homeowners saw but the first saw I ever rebuilt was an ms 250 which should give you an idea of how easy they are to fix. I like them, I wouldn't buy one new but when they come up cheap on trademe I buy them.

Whereabouts in NZ are you? I'm in Porirua.

They don't get a lot of love here because they are a clamshell homeowners saw but the first saw I ever rebuilt was an ms 250 which should give you an idea of how easy they are to fix. I like them, I wouldn't buy one new but when they come up cheap on trademe I buy them.

Whereabouts in NZ are you? I'm in Porirua.
I'm an hour north in the Horowhenua area. Mate has an MS250 which has been used, abused, and for a long time...still runs like new, along with his 038..that it seems, must be one of Stihls best saws. Muffler mod helped it along.

I'm an hour north in the Horowhenua area. Mate has an MS250 which has been used, abused, and for a long time...still runs like new, along with his 038..that it seems, must be one of Stihls best saws. Muffler mod helped it along.

I used to live in Kapiti, I just sold my 070 to a guy in Levin. The 038 became the 380 which became the 381 which we get but can't be sold in the states. One of those 381s would be a good score at the right price.

I just ran across a 36" bar at the local flea market and bought it. Wondering if it'll work on my MS390? Seems awfully big. It says on it ".404 .063." It's a solid nose bar, brand new so the pitch might be changed to 3/8-063 I guess.

I just ran across a 36" bar at the local flea market and bought it. Wondering if it'll work on my MS390? Seems awfully big. It says on it ".404 .063." It's a solid nose bar, brand new so the pitch might be changed to 3/8-063 I guess.
That bar may be a 3002 mount. If so it won't work on an MS390. That and a 36" is way too much bar for that saw even if it is the same mount. Start shopping for a bigger saw if you need that much bar...

That bar may be a 3002 mount. If so it won't work on an MS390. That and a 36" is way too much bar for that saw even if it is the same mount. Start shopping for a bigger saw if you need that much bar...
I was kinda kidding. I have another 390 I rebuilt and have an 18" bar on it, my latest has a 20" and that's big enough. I was looking at saws at the flea market, didn't find any I wanted but did run across this big bar which I don't have anything it would work on. I'll probably trade it to a local shop for something I need.
Another thing, the 390 mount is plastic and wouldn't hold up too well under heavy cutting in big stuff.

I just started for the first time the other day, since finishing the rebuild, my 029 Super with a FarmerTec 039/390 p&c on it. Once it fired, I was running and I got it tuned. Let it sit for 24hrs and it popped on the first pull with full choke. Backed it to half choke/full throttle and it fired on the second pull. That saw hasn't started that well in along time for me. I haven't even put a tank through it yet, but my first impressions so far are that it is pretty darn good. I got the P&C off ebay and was very pleased with the seller. He gave me good advice on doing the rebuild. While I was in, I also replaced the main bearings with new skf bearing. Everything that I put in, has been pretty good. The only thing I found that was junk for AM was the fuel line.

I just started for the first time the other day, since finishing the rebuild, my 029 Super with a FarmerTec 039/390 p&c on it. Once it fired, I was running and I got it tuned. Let it sit for 24hrs and it popped on the first pull with full choke. Backed it to half choke/full throttle and it fired on the second pull. That saw hasn't started that well in along time for me. I haven't even put a tank through it yet, but my first impressions so far are that it is pretty darn good. I got the P&C off ebay and was very pleased with the seller. He gave me good advice on doing the rebuild. While I was in, I also replaced the main bearings with new skf bearing. Everything that I put in, has been pretty good. The only thing I found that was junk for AM was the fuel line.
You could use the new fuel line just for the grommet in the middle and run tygon through the middle of it, so it's not a total loss. A fellow member posted a pic of the line on AS somewhere..

You could use the new fuel line just for the grommet in the middle and run tygon through the middle of it, so it's not a total loss. A fellow member posted a pic of the line on AS somewhere..

I saw that on the other post. I don't have any tygon right now and I haven't thrown the AM fuel line away. I just didn't use it after I saw it was kinking when I was putting the carb back in. I put the line that I had in it, back in and haven't had any issues with it yet. I checked it over before I put it back in though. Everything has been great other wise.

Hey man I will be interested in how your kit turns out.... I put a whole complete new engine in a ms180 and it's got about 3 tanks threw it.... I put it in shagbark hickory yesterday and I didn't take it easy on her at all...the damn thing impresses me more every time I start it....

Let me ask you this, did you consider just putting a complete engine assembly in or was it to pricey.... Only reason I ask is because when my ol ms290 dies I will be doing the same thing.... Thanks a lot Kyle

I rebuilt a 290 using a 390 kit but I also built a 290 using a 290 p/c and they both impress me but I think I was most impressed by the 250 I built from parts. I used a 3/8 Lo Profile bar and chain on it and it zips through the wood. It probably wouldn't be as impressive with a big bar and chain though..

Back