Stihl Aftermarket Parts Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My kits didn't come with a de-comp port although they would be nice on the 390s, don't think it's necessary on the 290 though. I think when they upped the displacement the compression ratio went up a bit also but never measured it.

I think I bought my ring compressor for my 029 from you Dave. Didn't use it though, lol.
Kinda hard to use a ring compressor on a Stihl clamshell saw. Nice on the others though. Actually, on the MS250 and I guess 025 they have their own compressor built in, just line the rings up on the piston and push it in. On the 029 you have to assist it a little..

I know this is a Stihl thread but has anyone bought an AM recoil housing for a 372xp with good results?

I know this is a Stihl thread but has anyone bought an AM recoil housing for a 372xp with good results?
I bought 2 clutch covers with chain brake hardware for a 357XP and a 359. These were Aftermarket and didn't cause me any trouble. Never bought a starter though for a Husky, the AM Stihl starters work just fine..

Well, I put some time on my saw over the weekend on Saturday. It should be pretty well broke in now. My parents had an Ash tree dropped, since it was dying, due to the Ash Borer Beetle. To save them money, they just had the tree service drop the tree, chip the brush and put the trunk on the ground. The smallest part of the trunk was 36" and going to past 44". My first couple of cuts in the trunk, I ran a tank of gas on each cut. I had the saw running pig rich for the break in. After that, I leaned it out by like a 1/16th of a turn on each jet and I was getting 2 cookies cut to a tank. I could definitely tell that it was breaking in and gaining power. It was definitely having no problems pulling the 20" 3/8 chisel chain through that big ash tree, doing the full bar. Never had a problem with oiling either. I am very pleased with the upgrade I did to my saw. I figure that each cookie that I was cutting off the trunk was probably pushing 120+ lbs. The cookies were each about 6" thick. I probably put 6 or 7 tanks of gas through the saw.

Fresh, green ash at 36"+ in diameter, at that thickness, is all I wanted to do to lift it. I was cutting them that thin to make them moveable. The parents just wanted the wood out of the yard. When I have a chance, I will post pics.

I was just kidding, I've had firewood here in all shapes and sizes, mostly around 18 to 20 inches if possible, but I have some chunks not over 6".

I know. This just one pic of what I was cutting on. Sorry about my daughters rear end in the pic. Both kids were running around while dad and I were taking a break. 92 degrees with 65% humidity, was kicking our butts that day.20160625_183716.jpg

Back