Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to find an ipl (illustrated parts diagram) for the Dewalt 40v chainsaw not sure exactly how many variants there are but found DCCS690M1 type 1. I see it has a reduction gearing. My Husqvarna 36v is direct drive. Is the Stihl one direct drive? The way the sprocket attaches looks similar two flats on a round shaft.

The parts for electric tools seem to become no longer available faster than Husqvarna gasoline chainsaws, (well the model I have). I have had been unable to get parts for a Black and Decker grinder (Dewalt group) and a Milwaukee drill (both plug in type) which seemed a bit quick to go obsolete.

Any idea if any other source for hard nose 0.043 bars besides Cannon? I think that is what I see in the picture.

I was able to find an ipl (illustrated parts diagram) for the Dewalt 40v chainsaw not sure exactly how many variants there are but found DCCS690M1 type 1. I see it has a reduction gearing. My Husqvarna 36v is direct drive. Is the Stihl one direct drive? The way the sprocket attaches looks similar two flats on a round shaft.

The parts for electric tools seem to become no longer available faster than Husqvarna gasoline chainsaws, (well the model I have). I have had been unable to get parts for a Black and Decker grinder (Dewalt group) and a Milwaukee drill (both plug in type) which seemed a bit quick to go obsolete.

Any idea if any other source for hard nose 0.043 bars besides Cannon? I think that is what I see in the picture.
Yes it's a cannon .043 16" toonie tip bar. I don't think anyone else makes hard nose .043 bars?....

I'm honestly not sure what kind of drive these saws are. I've never had them completely apart.

B284CC6F-AE1C-4DC3-8225-DCC5297919EC.jpg

Tinkering around in the shop and adapted a 1/4" sprocket to fit my Kobalt 80v chainsaw. This saw is a whole new beast now running .043" 1/4" stihl chain!! All electric and battery saws should use this chain. 3/8" .043 chain is junk in comparison. 1/4" is faster, smoother, more efficient(less strain on chain, bar, battery and motor).....and plunge cuts are easy and quick. Trying to plunge cut with 3/8" .043 chain is rough and slow..

The plunge cutting of Stihl 61pmm3 (0.043)wrapped on a Stihl shaped bar is what is recommended for professional plung cutting. Brand x chain has significantly different different nose properties. The 3/8 lp drive links are much larger than the 1/4 .... wear out a few bar slots and see how fast that goes.

There are a lot of similar threads on here this one is supposed to be 36V.

Sorry Mr Pickypants....you are so serious:). I think this Kobalt fits just fine in this thread. It's really in the same realm as the 36/40v saws....it really only has a bit more power. ....and I'm the only one on here who has owned many of the battery saws(both Stihls, echo, ego, ryobi, Dewalt, Kobalt). So I really think it's a good idea to post my thoughts about the 80v here too , in comparison to the 36v saws. I believe it could really help others reading this thread who are thinking about purchasing one of these saws.
I have also tried the stihl .043 3/8 chain on many setups, both on gas and electric saws. There is absolutely no contest between plunge cuts between the 1/4" .043 and the 3/8". 043. 1/4" is much better. Nothing Beats 1/4" .043 for precise, quick and smooth cuts.
The teeth on .043 1/4" chain are so thin and tiny, they are VERY efficient cutting and create very little friction when cutting. The bars are long lasting because of this.

Tinkering around in the shop and adapted a 1/4" sprocket to fit my Kobalt 80v chainsaw. . . . All electric and battery saws should use this chain.
The teeth on .043 1/4" chain are so thin and tiny, they are VERY efficient cutting and create very little friction when cutting.

It makes sense that the smaller 'bites'/chips would be a more efficient match with the battery powered motors. That said, the 3/8 low profile (standard kerf) chains have worked acceptably well on my Oregon 40V saws. I believe that the STIHL battery saws come with 1/4" pitch chains standard.

A while back I did a comparison between the factory supplied PowerSharp chains, and a few other 3/8, low profile, low kickback chains (Type 91) on the Oregon saws, and found the PowerSharp chains slightly more aggressive, aside from the auto-sharpening feature. I don't do much plunge cutting, so can't comment on that.

I have not looked into 1/4" pitch chain for these saws, because I don't have the bars to go with it.

Philbert

The Stihl electric saws from their literature use 7 teeth drive on the larger and 6 teeth on the smaller and the pole pruner. The Husqvarna one if equipped for 1/4 pitch chain uses an eight tooth drive. I only have the 0.050 gague stuff in 1/4 inch pitch.

Well the Dewalt 40v is on its way back to Amazon..oiler quit workin today. Spent about 2 hours fiddling with it and cleaning/air compressoring ....no oil pumping at all. Amazon is replacing it for free as a defective product. I have Amazon Prime so I'll have another here in 2 days and I got a free shipping return label for the old one. . I'm hoping I got one with a defect, but realistically I expect the same thing to happen again.
,....but the saw is great. Power, long battery run times with little heat, comfortable, ability to run 1/4"......I'm ticked the oiler is screwy so soon.
I'm gonna run the crap out of the second one and hopefully it holds up....if not I'm getting a refund. I've got no qualms about returning crap these days.

If this next Dewalt has problems I think I'll order the Oregon 40v. You seem to be very impressed with yours right?

But any way I'm thrilled I found a way to modify a 1/4" sprocket to fit the Kobalt.

Interesting article on batteries:
http://investingnews.com/daily/reso...m-investing/6-types-of-lithium-ion-batteries/

Not all Li-Ion batteries are the same.
If link does not work, Google some of these:

"Lithium-ion batteries are essential to modern technology, powering smartphones, laptops, medical devices and even electric cars.
. . . it is important to note that rather than using lithium metal for battery technologies, manufacturers commonly use lithium carbonate or lithium hydroxide. Moreover, there is more than just one type of lithium ion-battery, and not all are created equal. Several lithium compounds may be combined with a variety of other materials in order to create lithium batteries, such as lithium cobalt oxide."

- Lithium Cobalt Oxide
- Lithium Manganese Oxide
- Lithium Iron Phosphate
- Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide
- Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide
- Lithium Titanate

Philbert

Well.......Dewalt # 2 is being returned. Approximately 4 hours of use and the same thing happened that did with the first saw......no more oiling. The saw won't oil at all. I'm very disappointed....I wouldn't be disappointed if the saw was overall crap, but it's a fantastic tool. Except for the oiling system!!!! It over oils for the first few hours of runtime....then all the sudden there is ZERO oil. Same results on two saws. It would be nice if these IDIOTS tested these things before they are released on the market.

Bummer. Thanks for the review. You have given others something to keep an eye out for.
Hopefully, they will work it out. Have you tried contacting DeWalt (not just the place you bought them from) about this?

Philbert

I called. But you can't get in touch with anyone who knows anything. I just got to talk to a beeatch with a severe attitude named Laquisha who spoke Ebonics...so she had no clue about anything. Is Dewalt a government run tool company?:)
I also tried emailing Dewalt through the their website. I took quite a bit of time to fill out my info and write a detailed description of my problem...but when I submitted it only showed ERROR, and wouldn't go thru.

Franny. Where did you find the illustrated parts list for this saw? Thanks

Well.......Dewalt # 2 is being returned. Approximately 4 hours of use and the same thing happened that did with the first saw......no more oiling. The saw won't oil at all. I'm very disappointed....I wouldn't be disappointed if the saw was overall crap, but it's a fantastic tool. Except for the oiling system!!!! It over oils for the first few hours of runtime....then all the sudden there is ZERO oil. Same results on two saws. It would be nice if these IDIOTS tested these things before they are released on the market.

That sucks. You are a good customer for dewalt there, see if you can get a real engineer who is in charge of those saws on the phone. they might be experiencing a rash of that happening and maybe might work with you on a real fix. edit: I see you tried, never mind.

My first generation oregon saw still all works as intended.

Might be in your case just long constant runs overheated something simple like an oil pump gear or something.

In the meantime, carving, perhaps a cheaper plug in saw instead? I know cords are a hassle, but..

I have what I believe is the most powerful plug in saw available....stihl mse 250c

It's ok. It's awkward and uncomfortable to handle, it doesn't cut as fast or smooth as the Dewalt......and yeah, the cord.
Very odd, uncomfortable handle grip setup on stihl plug ins(you're not grasping the top of the saw, but off center almost on the side)

I'm still going to try to contact Dewalt again. Wish I knew how to contact someone who actually has some technical experience with this saw. I think you're probably right....the oil pump can't handle the constant running when carving. Or interior oil line is collapsing or something from the heat.

I have what I believe is the most powerful plug in saw available....stihl mse 250c

It's ok. It's awkward and uncomfortable to handle, it doesn't cut as fast or smooth as the Dewalt......and yeah, the cord.
Very odd, uncomfortable handle grip setup on stihl plug ins(you're not grasping the top of the saw, but off center almost on the side)

I'm still going to try to contact Dewalt again. Wish I knew how to contact someone who actually has some technical experience with this saw. I think you're probably right....the oil pump can't handle the constant running when carving. Or interior oil line is collapsing or something from the heat.
I would sure like to know how that mse250 compares to the mse220 in a real world experience. Maybe the 250 is. lt is heavier and will last longer but have less power compared to the new 250? I dunno, but it has more torque than any other electric, E30 types not withstanding.

Latest posts

Back