Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUMP!

(just because I was charging my batteries . . . )

As noted in some other threads, I use the same batteries in a variety of other Outdoor Power Equipment (string trimmer, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, etc.), which is where the 'family' of tools concept comes in. As a practical matter, I use that other stuff more than my cordless chainsaw and pole saw, but I only have them as a result of the battery saws.

Philbert

The chainsaw has the advantage of being able to turn it on and off real easy and talk about which branch to cut where in a pruning situation. The lack of gasoline, notably the odors of the vapors from the device in transport just do not exist on these electric tools. For me the string trimmer is pretty much continuous use and significantly more work to do than today's batteries are up to. I looked at a 1/2 inch impact, a Milwaukee one at a Fastenall place, was like $450 for the kit. Not sure any company has all the possibilities and a chord isn't all that bad if you have been using them for years. Or an air hose. Have you seen the little push type lawn mower Stihl offers?

For me the string trimmer is pretty much continuous use and significantly more work to do than today's batteries are up to.
Qualitatively, I have been generally satisfied with the battery performance of the Oregon chainsaw, pole saw, and string trimmer. Some of this depends on what you are cutting, or how long the grass is, having sharp chains, and having reasonable expectations. I always prefer the 4.0Ah battery over the 2.4Ah ones, as it lasts twice as long for the same weight.

The hedge trimmer surprising uses little battery life and runs on, and on, leaving multiple LED indicators lit. The leaf blower surprisingly uses a lot - it is very convenient, but drains the batteries quickly. I actually use it to 'finish off' batteries which are partially used (so that I can track the number of full charge cycles on each battery).

Have you seen the little push type lawn mower Stihl offers?
Seen photos of it only. Saw another brand in a big box store that used 2 batteries to drive 2 (independent?) motors and 2, small blades. Might be OK for light trimming tasks around a formal garden, where a full sized mower would not fit or maneuver well?

I looked at a 1/2 inch impact, a Milwaukee one at a Fastenall place, was like $450 for the kit. Not sure any company has all the possibilities and a chord isn't all that bad if you have been using them for years.

Some companies have the advantage or opportunity of sharing batteries with contractor type tools, as well as Outdoor Power Equipment which is an advantage for some. DeWalt, B&D, Bosch, Ryobi, Makita, etc. It may require a compromise in the design of one or the other, but certainly convenient if you are already invested in a battery system for one use, and have occasional need for the other.

Until I got started with this Oregon system, I was all corded electric Outdoor Power Equipment at home (except for the snow blower!). It is still the least expensive and lowest maintenance option. Battery is the most convenient, but lowest power and most expensive. Gas is highest power and highest maintenance.

Philbert

Oregon WL275 Work Light
An Oregon rep had a prototype of this work light at WetGunPowder's open house last weekend. Apparently, they have been released in Europe (?), and a version is due soon in the US (?). They run off of the same 40V batteries (called 36V in Europe) as the other Oregon O-P-E. AND (as Zogger once predicted!), also run off of an A/C adaptor (but the adaptor does not charge the battery, as I understand it).

Started a separate thread on this.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-40v-work-light-wl275.297835/

Philbert

I picked up a second Kobalt saw today, since I'm quite happy with the first one. ....and the first has had zero issues in over a years use. I want to run Stihl 3/8 .043 chain on one, and stihl .043 1/4" on the other..
The only small complaint about my old Kobalt 80v was the way the speed control was set up. Full power wouldn't kick in until the saw was cutting/had a load.....so chain speed was very slow when not cutting.
....to my surprise this new saw is different. It goes straight to full throttle even with no load. Much better in my opinion, especially when I'm using the tip of the saw for detailing(in this situation I usually want as much chain speed as possible). Definitely an improvement. The motor or speed controller seem a bit different also....the new one seems to have more torque, but a hair less top chain speed.
These are excellent saws , especially for the price. $300 for the saw, charger and battery.

Nice stuff you have there! Do you use the electric saws for carving exclusively or other chores as well? How do you have them set up for carving (bar and chains)? Any disadvantages besides price? Advantages over a gas saw?

Kind of thinking I might try my hand at some carving. The misses has seen some in the local general store she likes and of course I say "I can do that...maybe".

Nice stuff you have there! Do you use the electric saws for carving exclusively or other chores as well? How do you have them set up for carving (bar and chains)? Any disadvantages besides price? Advantages over a gas saw?

Kind of thinking I might try my hand at some carving. The misses has seen some in the local general store she likes and of course I say "I can do that...maybe".

Thanks. The best battery saw setup for small carvings and details is definitely the Husqvarna 536li XP with a 1/4" sprocket and stihl 1/4" .043 bar and chain. ....I am using this setup over my ms150 and ms201 most of the time for small stuff. The kobalt saws are definitely decent for the price, but really can't compare to the stihl or husky battery saws. I will always grab a battery saw over a gas saw for small/ medium trimming and taking down small trees.

I have many lengths, tip diameter and brands of carving bars for my electric saws...but I actually prefer the Stihl .043 1/4" roller nose bar for most work. These bars come standard on stihl batt saws and ms150's. These stihl bars are lighter and thinner than .043 cannon carving bars.

Why doesn't anyone offer this setup in a small, top handle saw? Seems perfect for climbing

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Dewalt is coming out with a 60v battery saw next year....its batteries will be compatible with their 20v line....which I have drills and flashlights. So I'm looking forward to trying one. I had their 40v saw which was awesome power...better than husky or Stihl as far as power. But the oilers stopped working on two of the saws and I returned them.
I will definitely give this saw a try when it's released...hopefully they rework the oiling system
http://www.coptool.com/dewalt-flexvolt-cordless-20v-60v-or-120v-power/

Found quick vid
http://yooying.com/p/1277774338343506164

Then, there is going the other way.

Sounds like something that Zogger would have predicted: using cordless batteries to power corded 120 volt tools!

image.jpeg

"The DEWALT DCB1800M3T1 flexible portable power station with batteries is designed as a 4 port parallel charger. This 1800 watt portable power station operates with four 20V MAX* batteries in, 15 amps out; includes (1) 6.0 Ah flexible and (3) 4.0Ah 20V MAX* batteries. Take cordless power anywhere!

Specifications: MAX AC output 3600 watts / rated AC output 1800 watts. MAX current (120V/240V) 30 amps / rated current (120V/240V) 15 amps. Required number of batteries - (4) 20V batteries. Indicator lights: inverter and charger, operation and fault, low battery.

Includes: (1) power station unit, (3) 4.0 Ah 20V MAX* batteries, (1) 6.0 Ah FLEXVOLT battery."

Philbert

More New Battery Technology

Keeps changing, just like Zogger's prophecy . . .
http://flexvolt.dewalt.com/en-us/how-it-works

I have not tried any of DeWalt's Out-Door Power Equipment, but everyone knows their contractor tools. Just saw an ad for their new Li-Ion batteries that will work with 20V or 60V tools, switching automatically from 3 sets of 5 cells each in parallel (for 20V), to 15 cells in series (for 60V). The individual cell are 4V each if you are trying to do the math.

Batteries up to 9Ahr, and pairing of (2) 60V batteries for 120V tools.

Verrrry Interesting!

Philbert

First Snow of the Season

And lookie-look what THD has!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

EDIT: apparently Home Depot has exclusive rights to this product for at least the first year in the US and Canada. There is also, apparently, a model that comes with (2) 7.5Ah batteries available on their websites.

Philbert

First Snow of the Season

And lookie-look what THD has!

Philbert

I would think you would want a two stage snowblower with caterpillar tracks judging from your location.

It does not in those pictures say if it uses lithium ion batteries. We have discussed prior the differing low temperature limits published for batteries Husqvarna vs Oregon.

I am pretty committed to the Husqvarna stuff at this point with the reversible string trimmer, the top handle chainsaw, and the non extendable pole saw. If they come out with a larger chainsaw that I can plug both my batteries into chances are I would get one. Hopefully with a rim drive set up.

I took a piece of band saw blade and extended the bucking spike. Not sure what the designers had in mind with the stock one.Hq electric bucking spike mod.JPG

Back