Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think you would want a two stage snowblower with caterpillar tracks judging from your location.
MOST of our snowfalls are pretty light, and the smaller snow throwers / snow blowers with rubber paddles actually work better at cleaning down to the pavement. Occasionally there is a deep snow, or it gets packed hard by the plows, where a 2 stage machine with metal impellers is better. Like chainsaws, one could justify having a few different types for different conditions.

It does not in those pictures say if it uses lithium ion batteries. We have discussed prior the differing low temperature limits published for batteries Husqvarna vs Oregon.
EGO has a whole line of battery powered Outdoor Power (you know what). They have been around for several years with Li-Ion products. Cold weather performance is an interesting issue for battery powered stuff. With my chainsaws I quickly learned that there was nothing to warm the bar oil!
http://egopowerplus.com/

If they come out with a larger chainsaw that I can plug both my batteries into chances are I would get one.
Starting to see 120V stuff. Not sure if it is 'better' or just 'different'. Battery weight is always an issue with hand held equipment - less of an issue with wheeled equipment, like lawnmowers, snow throwers, tillers, etc.

Philbert

Starting to see 120V stuff. Not sure if it is 'better' or just 'different'. Battery weight is always an issue with hand held equipment - less of an issue with wheeled equipment, like lawnmowers, snow throwers, tillers, etc.

Philbert

Probably the weight savings and likely size savings are not in the batteries themselves. Talking to get to the same horsepower. Lower voltage stuff needs larger wires to get the same power. Most of the stuff pertaining to 230 volt vs 460 volt ac pertains. The savings I read on the internet for commercial sawmill stuff is pretty amazing. The wire size, the switch gear being some of the main factors.

"Cell technology continues to improve. Premium cell manufacturers, like those used by Oregon, continue to innovate and improve battery cell capacity. As a result, we're able to improve the runtime of our tools by 50% with the 6.0Ah battery over the 4.0Ah battery, by using the same number of, but simply higher capacity cells."

Philbert

Snapper Battery O*P*E

Somehow I missed this?

I was at an outdoors show today and saw this at a booth. Snapper, of course, is well established company known for its lawn and garden equipment.
('The company began in 1894 as Southern Saw Works. . . . In 2002, Snapper was acquired by Simplicity Manufacturing, which was subsequently acquired by Briggs & Stratton in 2004.' - Wikipedia)

IMG_5972.jpg

The products are listed as 82 volts max*, with a nominal voltage of 72 V. I did not get a chance to cut with the saw at the show, but it has an 18" guide bar, with 3/8" low profile (Type 91) chain. The line includes several hand held tools, plus a wheeled lawn mower.

Snapper® Products 82V Max*
https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/products/snapper-xd-82v-max.html

IMG_5971.jpg

Snapper offers a 2 Amp-hour and a 4 Amp-hour battery. Interestingly, the 4 Ah battery is physically larger and significantly heavier than the 2 Ah battery - this is different than the Oregon batteries (see posts above), which have increased battery capacity while maintaining the same size and approximate weight. *Also note that the paper brochure I received states that the Snapper 4 Ah battery cannot be used with the chainsaw (!).

IMG_5974.jpg

Apparently, Snapper has an older line of 60V O*P*E that this newer line replaces:

Snapper’s 60V Lawn and Garden System
https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/support/how-to-articles/browse/cordless-lawn-equipment.html

Philbert

Just added makita's 18v vacuum to the collection. IMO, better than the dyson stick vacuum, at about 1/5th the price.

No. Never knew they did what we call backvacs here.

BCL180-M.jpg

I wonder if that backvac could be hooked up to a router table or table saw...

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

UPS showed up today with my new toy.:)
This saw definitely has some guts. It's funny how different so many 36v saws can be. This saw definitely has more power than Stihl and Husqvarna 36v saws. So far I love it. I experimented with the stock bar/chain(.043 3/8 Oregon ) for a while, then tried some Stihl 3/8 rapid super with a different bar..
I quickly nixed those two choices and rigged a 1/4" sprocket to fit. As I've found with all battery saws this is by far the best..(1/4" , .043 Stihl mini chain with 14" bar). THIS IS THE ONLY CHAIN THAT SHOULD BE ON ANY BATTERY SAW!!!!! It makes this awesome saw even awesomererer!
I really like that this saw has an adjustable oiler. It's the first I've seen this on any battery or electric saw.
The only thing I don't love is the power button. It's easy to turn on but if you aren't cutting for about 3 seconds it shuts off. You have to press the button to turn it back on every time. Not really a big deal but sorta annoying. The Husqvarna 536lixp has a similar safety feature but the saw stays on for about a minute before it shuts off. I wonder if this can be bypassed somehow.

On a side note I ditched the crap Oregon chain that came with my Makita plug in electric. I made up a loop of Stihl rapid super 3/8 lo pro .050. This saw cuts 100% better with this chain.
IMG_2543.JPG

........., then tried some Stihl 3/8 rapid super with a different bar..

I quickly nixed those two choices and rigged a 1/4" sprocket to fit.

Makita plug in elec I made up a loop of Stihl rapid super 3/8 lo pro .050.

View attachment 560207

I suspect you mean picco super chain for the 3/8 pitch low pro type chain.

Does the Husqvarna sprocket fit? what does rigged up mean and how many teeth on the 1/4 that you did rig up?

I think the two batteries will fit in two pockets. Probably not a plus for your application.

I looked at the parts breakdown of this Makita saw. The one bar stud is my favorite design with two pegs/pins and the stud/bolt in the middle. Like the Husqvarna 338xpt gas saw I have. Also the bar contacts steel plates instead of plastic parts. Even looks like a real chain catcher.

It seems slower chain speed from the internet specs I found than the Husqvarna 536lixp
Makita-built BL brushless motor delivers 1,650 FPM chain speeds for fast cutting action
Husky****chain speed at max power 65.62fps which I computed to 3937 feet per minute. Save e mode is about 3/4 as I recall.

Yes Franny you are correct. ..it's Picco super. I can't keep track of all these different names they put on chains.

For a sprocket I'm actually using a 6 tooth 1/4" from a Stihl battery saw. I had to dremel off the drum then turn it round on a bench grinder. I already had this part hacked from another experiment. I just had to narrow it a bit to fit it to this saw.
I just pulled a 8 tooth sprocket from one of my Husqvarna battery saws. It does indeed fit. (Just needed one washer to space it out from the body of the saw). So 8 vs 6 tooth will increase chain speed significantly.
As far as chain speed goes. Somebody's math is wrong somewhere. I'm quite sure it's faster even with the 6 tooth. I don't have any way of measuring of course. I'm just going by sight, sound and speed of the cut. I'll use the husky and makita side by side in the same log today ...both with an 8 tooth sprocket.

The saw overall is well balanced and comfortable to use. It is quite comparable to the Makita electric, probably even faster with the 1/4" chain. The electric saw won't cut out as quickly if you're pushing hard though. For me personally I'd rather use the uncorded battery makita over the corded.

New lines of STIHL cordless tools released.

AI - 'integrated' (read 'built-in') battery for 'quick tasks around smaller yards and condominiums.' Series includes: string trimmer, leaf blower, and hedge trimmer.

AK - separate battery and charger 'ideally suited for frequent use around suburban yards.' Series: includes chainsaw, string trimmer, leaf blower, and hedge trimmer.

AP - 'professional-grade power . . . for extensive use on a wide range of properties.' Series includes: 2 chainsaws, 3 string trimmers, 2 leaf blowers, 2 hedge trimmers, 3 pole pruners, 3 lawn mowers, cut off saw. *This is the series of tools that have been offered now for a few years*.

Could not easily find Amp-hour ratings for the AI and AK series batteries, but clearly they are designed for lighter duty use, and to fill out price points, where consumers may have been looking at some other brands. Likely to be of less interest to AS members, who have been looking at battery powered tools going 'in the other direction' - more power, longer cutting life, etc. But please add any information if you have it on these series of tools, or if you have the opportunity to try any of them out.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back