Stihl BG85 blower issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highdesignfool

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This blower has worked flawlessly for years but lately the throttle trigger has a really slow return. Check out the videos.
I'm ready to tear in to it but just wondering if anyone has seen this and can give me some direction. Thanks!

I did not watch your vids, however on the bg56/86 (I presume the bg85 is the same) it is a spring on the throttle shaft of the carb that is responsible for the trigger returning. I'd check there first and then make sure the trigger itself it free to move and not rubbing on surrounding plastic handle/housing. It is a shaped metal wire (like bent coat hanger) that connects carb and trigger. Check that its in place properly and is connected to throttle shaft properly.

Spray some lube on the carb and in the hole where the trigger is. May not work but quick easy fix if it does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I got it apart today. It was an easy fix. The tube with the cable running from the trigger to the carb was really gummed up with dust and grunge. I cleaned it up and shot a little silicone spray in the tube as well as on the throttle pivot. Works like new.
e7c6108b1e8615d8491715d1daeb7c0b.jpg
7d5ad1a96596a61c65fe4036f030de76.jpg
45bea1f6e39a955a1b3eebd4de241767.jpg

That's one of the earlier versions of that blower, the newer versions use a throttle rod instead of a cable. The carbs for the early version can be hard to find, but the rebuild kits are readily available...just food for thought as it ages...

That's one of the earlier versions of that blower, the newer versions use a throttle rod instead of a cable. The carbs for the early version can be hard to find, but the rebuild kits are readily available...just food for thought as it ages...

Good to know. Thanks

I'm going to go to my dealer and grab a carb if they still have one. Just to keep in the tool box. Any idea of the part number?

Latest posts

Back